Coop for cochin bantams

RubiconChicken

Chirping
Jun 4, 2019
Southeastern Wisconsin
I will be building a coop to house 4 cochin bantams in Wisconsin. It is cold and winter's can be quite drawn out. I am trying to decide what type of coop to build for them. Would it make sense to build a light duty coop with no insulation and just keep them in our heated garage in the winter? Or are they hardy enough to be kept in an insulated coop through the winter? Do they need a heat source? I am new to bantams as a whole and I don't want them to freeze or get frostbite. My concern is that adding a heat source may increase humidity - is that true?

Go with a Wood's style coop if you can. No insulation or heater, plenty of draft free ventilation.. remembering that their breath will be adding to the indoor humidity.

Wood roost 2x4 with wide side facing up. Feathers should cover feet and combs can be tucked under wings to protect combs.

No, I don't think adding heat increases humidity. But it can make it harder for them to adjust to cold if they are used to warmth and not acclimatized.

One crucial piece of advice... don't buy in to "corn or scratch keeps them warm". Most our feeds are already made from mostly corn and adding in too many extras will just diminish nutrients including protein, amino acids, vitamins and minerals... as they are added into our formulated rations. So keep treats to 10% of the total daily intake.

Maybe look into enrichment ideas for the drawn out winter you describe.. such as hanging cabbage, sprouting or fodder type stuff.

I know you said Wi in your post... adding that to your general profile can help folks make the best suggestions possible at a glance. I know @Folly's place gets snow and raises bantams, maybe she has some better recommendations than mine. :)

Hope your first winter goes well! :fl

like this but smaller:
free-chicken-coop-plans-1357113_FINAL-c325847e0d34457ab8629c01bd5d9981.png

I've had Belgian d'Uccles, EE bantams, and a few bantam Cochins, and they all do fine in winter here. We rarely have -15F, but with a good coop and heated water, it should be fine for them.
I agree that Woods coop is the best, and wish I had one.
Don't build small! The best coops are walk-in for you, and larger than you think you will ever want. @Cristi2205 , there's no way that would be a good idea, and definitely not smaller, unless you like crawling around in chicken poo...
For a new build other than a Woods coop, use a garden shed type structure with larger window openings added for ventilation, and a walk- in run. At least 4 sq. ft. inside per bird, and more outside. For Wisconsin, a roofed run is best, or you will be shoveling a lot. Chickens hate snow! In winter you can wrap the lower sections of the run with sheet vinyl, so it's protected from wind and snow.
Mary

Last edited:
I'm in Wisconsin. Our winters can get long and brutal. This year hasn't been too bad yet.

I keep bantam cochins. Their coop is built into the backside of a barn. It has 3 insulated walls. I would recommend the insulation. In my big shed I have no insulation and birds will get frostbite on combs and toes on occasion, especially when temperatures drop below -20's. In my bantam coop I don't see frostbite. The insulation will keep the coop slightly warmer. Mine is 8x10.

In the last 2 years we have been putting up clear fiberglass roof panels around the run. No snow, and they can now go out daily where before they would be confined to their coop for weeks on end.

I have never provided any extra heat. I have kept frizzle cochins and silkies without problems.

I like my insulated coop roof, and had wall insulation, until rats moved in and killed some nice bantam pullets one year. The rats do chew through wood!
My coop has two or three layers of wood on all walls; original 1"x6" horizontal boards, wood lap siding, and then T-111 on the walls. The newer north wall addition is short and only two wood layers.
The coop is cooler than ambient in summer, also having shade around it, and warmer than ambient in winter. And southern Michigan is not as chilly as Wisconsin in winter; I grew up over there, and remember!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom