coop from Ikea leftovers a possibility...?

Autumn Mama

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
British Columbia,
I have an aquaintance who emailed this coop idea to me, thinking it looked fantastic, and to me it doesn't look like a great idea. For starters, it's not weather-proof (for most areas, and we're talking about the PNW where my aquaintance /friend lives...), no perch, appears to be a potential nightmare to clean, too many nooks and crannies to clean and where parasites might hide out...

OH! and no pop door! Does this chook-keeper who built it imagine just keeping them in there 24/7!?! No run that I could see either... Hmmm.

I don't think I should agree with her that's it's a workable idea for a coop. Others input? Could it be modified to work? She also viewed it as being easy on the pocket-book (I told her what mine had cost...
tongue.png
)

Thats the coolest thing Ive seen. Very creative, I might have to use this idea in the future. Yes the coop has to be tweeked.

Last edited:
Does anyone have suggestions for me to pass on that would support the idea that this kind of coop would work, or is it not realistic?

Curious to hear what you think!!!
smile.png

I was trying to compare the products to the coop itself, but all but the bunk bed link were broken. The coop itself looks nice though.

Well, as evidenced by the palm trees in the background of one of the pictures, I don't think the coop builders needed to think about weather proofing. I think it might work for a summer coop in the PNW. But I'll bet it could be covered in the winter somehow. That would add to the expense unless you also used recycled materials for that.

I am guessing that they just open the door and let the chickens run around in their yard. Some people have a setup that is good for that. If your friend's yard isn't fenced, and she doesn't want to step in poo as she comes out the door, she will have to make a run, but she would have to do that with any coop.

As for the roosts and cleaning, my chickens never used their very expensive roosts, and some breeds (Silkies) usually don't roost anyway. It does look a little hard to clean, but that isn't your problem.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom