Coop full of problems! Disease, lice, picking, egg eating. HELP!

Quote:
This has always been my policy. And it will be from now on. I made an exception because my dd really wanted some Polish and they were available locally. They were very young, so I thought we would be okay. I sure did make a mistake, and a costly one. I won't make it again. These chickens are costing me a fortune!!

Last edited:
Looks like you are on the right path Id clean out the coop and bleach all a 20 percent solution will work wash the feeders etc and also spreay the bleach on the walls let it airdry... If the yard isnt too big where the chickens roam Id get me a yard insecticide usually granual and treat the area will Kill all mites tics etc... I also would continure to treat with the 7 dust it works most every time here... Im with the rest I NEVER BUY unless from a reputable hatchery... OH one thing Id add a pet grade iodine shampoo does wonders for the itchy skin... I think if I were you Id dust the birds weekly for a month or so and see where your at...

UGH, I have been seeing small brown bugs on me after holding my hens, I think they are lice. I never see them on my hens though, try as I might. We are cleaning our coop this week and dusting everyone. How often to dust after that? I'll reread this post and find out. I wonder if my vet has the ivermectin, that sounds like a good idea as well. We haven't been getting many eggs anyway and now I finally know the reason.

gckiddhouse - I feel your pain!

Quote:

Just to update: We have been giving the antibiotics in the water daily and dusted them on Thursday last week. They all have much redder combs and they all seem happier. No head shaking. No rattled breathing. Can't find live bugs on any right now.

The coconut oil/tea tree oil has really softened the skin on the two Polish girls. It looks much more normal, but still featherless. Will continue to do that.

I have been picking up eggs from the leghorn and yesterday our hen who had been broody all spring and summer and finally gave up actually laid an egg. I think the neighbors 5 acres over heard the announcement. Since there isn't much laying, I don't think that there is a lot of egg eating going on, but not positive. We are holding out hope. Hate to think of getting rid of our Darla.

All the chickens are at the end of a molt, so they all look great except for the yellow stain that the powder leaves.

Gave them a bunch of protein leftovers from the fridge today. Have a can of salmon waiting for them tomorrow.

Still need to get Ivermectin which sounds great, but I am concerned with the final outcome here. No matter what I do, each time the eggs on them hatch, there will be bugs laying more eggs. Can someone give me some confidence as to how the cycle ever gets broken?

Still considering the dip, but don't really relish the idea of bathing 19 chickens... advice?

Thanks!

Speaking about ear mites, my vet said treat for three days in a row, not for three days, then treat for three days, off for three days, treat for three days then you;re done. Not sure eactly how that plays out to other mites and lice, but it does sound like a plan. Using a product that contains an insect growth regulator (which prevents them from maturing) also helps break the cycle.

I just wish there was a long term effective vaccine for mites and lice. sigh.

I wouldn't put tea tree oil on the birds. It's fatal if ingested and when they groom, they may do that. Add some good quality olive oil to their feed. That will help with skin and circulation issues. You can also give cod liver oil or mix it with wheat germ oil as well.

i couldnt find adams so i used happy jack kennel dip II

it worked great. all we had to do was dip them , msde sure their skin got wet, while hubby held them dripping above the tub of water, i slathered vaseline on the legs.. i figured while we did one ritual, why not the other! it was EFFORTless, really.. ill never use powder again.

o h and the dip lasts for 30 days too, and i think it has inhibitor ..piperonyl butoxide in addition tot he permethrin

To stop egg eaters we always used glass or ceramic eggs even stones of the right shape an color! It only takes a couple of pecks before they learn they can't eat the eggs any more! It usually works. If you can narrow it down then I would get rid of the one. It may not be to late to break the others! You can pen the hens up 1 at a time for a week or so. Feed and water as usual. Place a store bought egg in the box/pen with them. If it is eaten then you know to put the fake in withthem. Egg eating can also be a sign of lacking protien. Just a thought.
hu.gif

Good luck on all the rest and God Bless!

How big is your coop?

How big is your run?

How many chickens do you have in how much square feet?

How is your ventilation?

Some of those issues are triggered by boredom and over-crowing and also poor air circulation...

Make sure the nest boxes are very dark and check for eggs at least twice per day....

Back
Top Bottom