Coop full of problems! Disease, lice, picking, egg eating. HELP!

Quote:
Is your waterer galvanised? If so you have to change it out every 12 hours. it does something to the medicine, and also you need to give them a fresh dose every day.

I made a plastic auto waterer out of a lowes bucket and a rubber pan( from tsc).. i only chose to do this because- 1. it makes an icky yellow flaky mess inside the waterer and 2. the meds also settle so an auto waterer would help to keep it half way mixed up throughout the day.

adamps flea and tick dip is a concentrated permethrin based dip and you mix it with water. I know what its like to dust chikens and my skin ends up burning cause by then my arms are sweaty! id rather just get hte dip done and have them wet down to the skin and let them dry on a warm day. I have to go buy some today.

Quote:
The ivermectin, regardless of how ingested (orally or through the skin or injected) becomes systemic in the bird. So yes, residue may make it into the eggs. Depending on the particular brand and exact formulation, the withdrawal time for meat and milk can vary. IT IS NOT TESTED ON CHICKENS, so there is no formal withdrawal time. Two weeks withdrawal for chicken eggs is common for many treatements, based upon the amount of time it takes an egg to form. HOWEVER, ivermectin is regularly used on humans in 3rd world countries. I don't toss eggs when I use it; some do. However, I do not sell eggs; if I did, I would not be comfortable selling eggs for consumption from birds I had recently treated.

Quote:
Is your waterer galvanised? If so you have to change it out every 12 hours. it does something to the medicine, and also you need to give them a fresh dose every day.

I made a plastic auto waterer out of a lowes bucket and a rubber pan( from tsc).. i only chose to do this because- 1. it makes an icky yellow flaky mess inside the waterer and 2. the meds also settle so an auto waterer would help to keep it half way mixed up throughout the day.

adamps flea and tick dip is a concentrated permethrin based dip and you mix it with water. I know what its like to dust chikens and my skin ends up burning cause by then my arms are sweaty! id rather just get hte dip done and have them wet down to the skin and let them dry on a warm day. I have to go buy some today.

Well I like the sound of that better than that powder! Here is a pic of DD and me ready to go dust chickens. Last night, we both wore long sleeves, too. That helped, but into the shower we go as soon as we are done!
19636_p1020279.jpg

Our auto waterer is plastic. We are giving them a fresh dose every morning.

Going to go ahead with coconut oil and tea tree for the Polish girls' skin and see if it helps. Any other suggestions are welcome. The powder definitely doesn't help, but I wonder if the dip would. I will have to look for that.

I just discovered I have lice too. It has been a very rainy summer for us and my fist case of lice. Wonder if the excessive humidity and wettness has anything to do with it. Any way I discover this on a breeders site that will take care of everything leg mites, lice, and worms if you have any. The old draw back is you won't be able to eggs the eggs for 1 month since you will be treating 2 x's

"The following comments are from web chats:

A while back I took my Frizzle Rooster to my Avian vet for a pedicure,
because his spurs were sooooo HUGE, I was afraid to cut them...Filing
would have been futile.
She said he had mites. I said IMPOSSIBLE!
She scraped his scaly feet and under the microscope, showed me the
creepy crawly gross, crab like yucky's. At the time, I didn't think scaly
feet had anything to do with mites. And because they can’t be seen with
the naked eye...who'd have thunk it? Momma Frizzle had scaly feet, too.
Anyway, her prescription:
4 CC/ML Ivermectin (INJECTABLE) in ONE gallon of water, 3 days,
repeat in 14 days. No other source of water should be provided.
Their feet, looked like new born baby feet after about a week. The scale
just disappeared.
Vet also said that if they have any mites of their body's they would bite
and die from the Ivermectin.
Same treatment for Coccidia, by the way."

Ivermectin can be used in humans as well, so eating the eggs unless you are pregnant is not a concern. Eprinex is approved for dairy and meat cattle (and other things) and there is no slaughter time constiuants on it.
Treat with the Ivermectrin and the dust at the same time. You will need to use the dust continually in the coop until they molt out the feathers that have the lice eggs on them, as the eggs are not affected by the pymethrins and I don't think Ivermectin does either. Dust the roosts and I would suggest making a dust box (I used a large rubbermaid like container that can fit multiple chickens at one time) and sprinkle the dust in there as well, then they can dust themselves.
If you handle them at all you will notice these creepy crawlies on you, they will not bother you (whether it is mites or lice) but it will be helpful in identification. In cases where there is a low level of mites or lice you will not have them on you. But if you pick up a chicken a hold it for a few minutes you should have some on you if there is an infestation.

I think everything else was covered adequately

I use an old tractor tire filled with sand and wood ashes for my birds to dust bath in. You can also add DE to the mix if you want, but I find the wood ashes adequate. My chickens will dust bath and and when they stand up and shake, it looks like a cloud of smoke with a chicken in the middle. I also use gloves and pull juniper needles/buds off (a 5 gallon bucket worth) and add some to each nest box and toss some into the deep litter in my Coop.
It's a little late now for you, but I have never introduced adult chickens to my flock. I only incubate eggs or buy day-old chicks. Bio-security is usually not thought about until you realize you made a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom