coop help

jpmor1

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 4, 2013
I'm in the process of building a shed that I was going to put a coop in. I'm planning a big covered run next to it. Do I need an internal area too? Can I just put the roosts outside in the run? What about the nest boxes? I'm in Louisiana, so it doesn't get very cold. Space is not an issue either way.

Ok, so I just saw another thread on here that asked the same question. It seems most people think the coop provides protection from predators. I was planning to build an enclosed run that is predator proof, and leave it open to the coop. If I want the coop to provide extra protection, I'd have to close it every night, right? If I'm confident that the run is predator proof, can I just make a smaller coop and leave the door open all the time?

If your run is covered and predator proof, a coop is going to provide protection from the elements. You can make something that is 3 sided with a roof that contains their nest boxes and some roost. Or even just a roof to get out of the rain. My horse trainer uses a covered coop and just has nest boxes up off the ground. I have a coop with lockable doors and covered windows because my run is open and the coop is their predator protection.

Hope that all makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom