Coop hen house height

mlm1965

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 14, 2009
Maryville, TN
Is 4 foot too high for the hen house. I am in the process of building a base to sit my dog house coop on and got a little worried about this.

I think that would be to high off the ground for the chickens. What are you going to do under the dog house? The ramp for the chickens would have to be really long. Any more information on your design? You might want to again check out the small size coops on this sight.

Oh wait -- editing out previous reply -- you mean, the floor of the coop will be 4' above the ground?

If it is a low reach-in coop, then potentially that is ok from an engineering standpoint -- it is certainly easy to make a ramp or whatever to help the chickens get up/down.

If you want to be able to walk into the coop, there are some engineering issues involved in making such a tall building, though. It can be done, but you need to get good advice on structure.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited:
I have a access door on the front to clean out the coop. The roof is stationary so that is not a problem. I was just afraid it would be too high up for the hens. My run is going to be 7 ft wide and long, so the way in will not be a problem with a long ramp.

The house is a converted dog house. I do not have a dog:lol:

sometimes my brain works faster than my hands, I should have clarified. I had the housing built and will have nest boxes on the side with a lift up roof so I can gather eggs

Last edited:
Quote:
I was going to fix them a dust bath area underneath the housing that I can keep relatively dry for them. I was going to put the food and water there, but changed my mind on that aspect

4' seem a little high, then again I don't know how tall you are???
lol.png

I went with 26" for my coop, pics on my BYC page to give you an idea what it looks like...

Looking forward to your pics... We will be building a new coop soon. We are in the planning stage. We are pondering how high it should be off of the ground. The birds will have access to most of the underneath except for the areas where the poop pits will be. The poop pits will be inaccessible to the birds. Also the new coop will be 6/7' high so we can walk into it. It will be 32' long and 8'wide. It will be divided into 3 sections with roosts on both ends.

Last edited:
coopinsnowhx2.jpg

Mines 4' off the ground because I HATE shoveling snow. I wish it was higher. While I have a ramp off the coop into the yard most of my girls don't use it. They just fly up and into the coop.

Because it's as high as it is I can just keep packing the snow down when I walk out to it. We got over 10' of snow last year and I only dug out the path to the coop a couple of times.

We do not get much snow here so I should be safe at 2ft. Here is one pic, will take more closer to when I get through. Thanks to all for the help:

Back
Top Bottom