Construction near coop

alixd

Hatching
Mar 25, 2024
We have a new house being built below us and the driveway they will use to dismantle and build the house is right next to my chicken coop. We are going to have dump trucks ect going up and down the driveway next to the coop. I am worried my hens will get freaked out by all the noise and stay in the up top in coop most of the time. I was thinking about getting a small coop that I could put them in during the day away from the driveway when we have all the activitiy but then thinking I will need to put them in the big coop at night once things quiet down which may get to be a pain. Does anyone have any input suggestions?

As long as the trucks do not actually hurt them, the chickens should get used to it pretty soon.

Chickens are quite good at adjusting to things that seem scary but do not hurt them. Lawn mowers are a common example: the first mowing in the spring makes the chickens terribly scared, but after a while they are just ignoring the mower because they have learned it isn't actually dangerous to have it go by their pen.

It is good to be thinking about this, but I would watch how the hens react to the first few dump trucks, before making a final decision about moving them. I think they will probably be fine in their usual place, but of course no-one can be completely sure until it happens and you watch their reactions.

As long as the trucks do not actually hurt them, the chickens should get used to it pretty soon.

Chickens are quite good at adjusting to things that seem scary but do not hurt them. Lawn mowers are a common example: the first mowing in the spring makes the chickens terribly scared, but after a while they are just ignoring the mower because they have learned it isn't actually dangerous to have it go by their pen.

It is good to be thinking about this, but I would watch how the hens react to the first few dump trucks, before making a final decision about moving them. I think they will probably be fine in their usual place, but of course no-one can be completely sure until it happens and you watch their reactions.
Thank you so much for your post, this is a great community for people who love chickens. I like your example of a lawn mower and feel much better about leaving them in their current coop/run. Thank you so much for your knowledge and experience with these kind creatures.

We have a new house being built below us and the driveway they will use to dismantle and build the house is right next to my chicken coop. We are going to have dump trucks ect going up and down the driveway next to the coop. I am worried my hens will get freaked out by all the noise and stay in the up top in coop most of the time. I was thinking about getting a small coop that I could put them in during the day away from the driveway when we have all the activitiy but then thinking I will need to put them in the big coop at night once things quiet down which may get to be a pain. Does anyone have any input suggestions?
Your question reveals your love and concern for your chickens. They are in good hands!

When we were building our permanent coop/run, the work area was directly next to the chickens temporary coop. They quickly got used to a variety of noises: circular saw, miter saw, hammer drill, sander, planer, staple gun, bulldozer, humans cussing out uncooperative wood…you name it. They very quickly got used to all the noises.

IMG_4673.jpeg

When we were building our permanent coop/run, the work area was directly next to the chickens temporary coop. They quickly got used to a variety of noises: circular saw, miter saw, hammer drill, sander, planer, staple gun, bulldozer, humans cussing out uncooperative wood…you name it. They very quickly got used to all the noises.

View attachment 3782595
Tolerance, thy name is Chicken! :old

Back
Top Bottom