Coop/house 30% done... Pics added!

joerogrz

Songster
11 Years
Oct 28, 2008
Loretto, TN
Well it's around 30% anyway.

Everything under the floor is metal. Z-channels for joists and such with screws in everything. Chip board for the floor and a lot of used lumber for the frame. There is very little new lumber going into this.

We have a big stack of pine that my Dad had cut into lumber by some local Amish people. Be cautious about doing this if you decide to have it done. They use bandsaw mills to cut lumber and let their kids work it. I've had to do more planing than necessary to get it down to the right width.

The outside will be a board-and-batten style with the people door in the front and the chicken doors on each side. The pine will be used on the outside and treated on the outside only.

Will post pics later today hopefully.

Last edited:
Hey Joerogrz, I live in Greenhill just down the road from you. Another frequent poster here on the site that I have met and gotten duck eggs from is Jayare (pronunced J.R.) I kept trying to call him Jerry. Anyway he just hatched out 7 new ducks yesterday and I have a bunch of new chicks in the brooder and more chicks and the duck eggs in the bator.

Last edited:
Well here are the pics I said I would post....

This is the inside of the coop. It's 8x10 with chip-board for the floor. I used chip-board because it was really cheap at Home Depot. As you can see there is very little new lumber in this. Actually the lumber covering the outside is "new" since we had it cut up. Lots of planing though.
3032791406_d1692270c9_o.jpg

This is the right side of the coop. Not quite finished with this one yet. The little awning over the chicken door is cypress on top and pine on the sides.
3032801410_cb6d19ef7f_o.jpg

Left side. What it looks like for the most part. I love the knots in board-and-batten style exteriors.
3032795884_2dd34b0b79_o.jpg

One of my "squatters" wondering why the coop isn't finished yet...
3031946595_827a757163_o.jpg

It's a little bit of a challenge working with wood that isn't cut to size. The pine being used on the exterior is not cut to size and a lot of it is curved. That's the good thing about about this style though. Most of it can be covered up and a little edging and cutting can straighten out the top boards used for the batten.

We'll soon be putting the finish on the exterior to protect it, until then though, there's a lot more planing to do....
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Wolf Creek- I think I've heard of Wolf Creek Farms somewhere, but I may be thinking of something else. What breeds of chickens do you have?

Hey Joe, no big business here, more like a family homestead (in the making) we also run a candle business called Wolf Creek Candles and sell at local shows ie octoberfest/christmas in the country etc. I have a lawyer in the family that insist we incorporate everything that deals with the public into an LLC mainly to protect personal property from a stupid law suit. Sad I know but you know how crazy people are these days always want to sue for something. Any way, I have lots of different breeds of chickens now and plan on selling free range eggs and possible processed farm raised chickens and turkeys next year. I hope to get to meet you someday, as I like to network whenever I can to help each other out with questions hatching eggs etc. I deal with a guy in Lexington quite a bit who has 850-900 chickens on his farm, he's a great guy for info and hatching eggs etc. If you think you'd be interested we could talk one day, let me know and I'll pm you my number and maybe we could have breakfast up there at Hardee's or quick mart. C-Ya

If you go to Hardee's have a cinnamon raisin biscuit for me...

We haven't had a Hardee's here for about 10 years, and I sure do miss those biscuits!

Back
Top Bottom