Coop I just finished

seanengler

Songster
13 Years
May 23, 2010
Central Coast, CA
Hey All...Just thought I'd share a coop I just built for some folks. I've been advertising in classifieds where I live for custom built chicken coops etc. This was my first order. The price was $900...thoughts on the price for the product? There are some very similar coops out there but not quite as stout, I'm pretty pleased with this. Framed with 2x4's and so on, used felt with the roof when others just throw the shingles on etc. I tried to really build something that will last. Attached are photos along the way and the finished product.

The coop is a 4'x4' square. 16" off the ground, 6' tall in the front and slopes down to 5' tall in the rear.

Coop is up on dollies here so the ramp looks steeper than it is.

They came and picked it up today....I was sad to see it go! Next I'm building a slightly bigger version of this same coop for my parents. Instead of a 4x4 theirs will be a 4x6. Anyway, thanks for looking!

-Sean

Hey All...Just thought I'd share a coop I just built for some folks. I've been advertising in classifieds where I live for custom built chicken coops etc. This was my first order. The price was $900...thoughts on the price for the product? There are some very similar coops out there but not quite as stout, I'm pretty pleased with this. Framed with 2x4's and so on, used felt with the roof when others just throw the shingles on etc. I tried to really build something that will last. Attached are photos along the way and the finished product.

The coop is a 4'x4' square. 16" off the ground, 6' tall in the front and slopes down to 5' tall in the rear.

Coop is up on dollies here so the ramp looks steeper than it is.

They came and picked it up today....I was sad to see it go! Next I'm building a slightly bigger version of this same coop for my parents. Instead of a 4x4 theirs will be a 4x6. Anyway, thanks for looking!

-Sean
Very awesome well done!!!

I think your build is great and your price point seems fair with the build quality and work that you did. It must weight "a ton" (figure of speech) to load up and move. The only thing that you may want to consider is a roost bar in the back and a long vent on the backside with a hinged board (perhaps as an option?) Well done and nice little side business!

I think your build is great and your price point seems fair with the build quality and work that you did.  It must weight "a ton" (figure of speech) to load up and move.   The only thing that you may want to consider is a roost bar in the back and a long vent on the backside with a hinged board (perhaps as an option?)   Well done and nice little side business!

Loading it was definitely quite the show, it's heavy for sure. I did include a roost bar but just didn't upload the pic, oops! And as far as ventilation I vented the eaves front and rear about 1.5 inches each to allow hot air to escape while fresh air comes in the window. Thoughts?

My husband is a carpenter and is always amazed that the coops they sell at the farm stores, for a lot more than what you are asking, are so flimsy and NOT predator proof. From the looks of your framing, etc, it looks like they got a very sturdy product, that will last and protect their birds.

My husband is a carpenter and is always amazed that the coops they sell at the farm stores, for a lot more than what you are asking, are so flimsy and NOT predator proof. From the looks of your framing, etc, it looks like they got a very sturdy product, that will last and protect their birds.

Yeah that is what I was going for! SOO crazy the things I see in stores, not even framed with 2x2's, just sheathing tacked together with 2x2 strips in the corner. Seems like a chicken on top of the coop would collapse it. I was standing up and jumping up and down on top of this one with no flex in the roof at all haha. Anyway, expanding a little further on the venting, I didn't do the method with the closing door to save time and money on my part mainly because it never really gets below 32 where they live.

Back
Top Bottom