Coop in a Garage?

AngusMc

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2021
Hi Folks,

We have an extra large garage with good ventilation, windows, and a side door. We use it as a gardening shed and storage area. Cars are never inside. I'm wondering about keeping a coop inside the garage, and having the side door open into a large chicken run? In our area, the number of chickens is not regulated, but where a coop can be placed is. In order to avoid any issues with grumpy neighbors (even when placing the coop in an approved spot), keeping the girls (we're planning for between 4 to 6 hens) in the garage, so there are no outdoor coop issues, seems like a good idea. It will also encourage our daughter with autism, who loves chickens (we've cared for some in the past), to help care for them even when the weather is terrible outside. :). These birds are def. pets, though eggs are a nice bonus when they come.

Has anyone successfully done this? What worked, what didn't? I'm actually thinking about purchasing a large coop and just setting it up inside the garage. We would section off this part of the garage so the dust didn't go everywhere, and someone suggested a motorized exhaust fan to help improve ventilation.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

A.

I don't really see a problem, although I have never done this before. As long as there is good ventilation, I could see it working. And as long as they have access to a large run (at least 40-60 sq feet, (10 feet per bird) more if they arent going to free range) I would consider building your own coop though. Pre fabs are notorious for being flimsy and small.

I don't really see a problem, although I have never done this before. As long as there is good ventilation, I could see it working. And as long as they have access to a large run (at least 40-60 sq feet, (10 feet per bird) more if they arent going to free range) I would consider building your own coop though. Pre fabs are notorious for being flimsy and small.
I forgot to add, plan on them tearing up all the grass in their run. Theyll go through it so quickly!

Thanks! I think the run will be about 10 by 12 feet, but they will be able to free range at least a couple of hours a day. We have stockade fencing around the backyard, and plan to partition it off into about 3 sections. Someone suggested putting colored string (vinyl?) in no more that two foot intersecting patterns over the area the chickens will be in to discourage hawks. I agree that the more time they can be out in the backyard being chickens, the better.

If they are in the garage, they are protected from the elements and don't need a coop. Just go with a nice dog kennel, add a roost or two and a few nesting boxes and you're good. Dust will be the biggest detractor.
I was thinking that if they lived and slept in the coop, it would keep the dirt and dust down, and make keeping the entire area easier to clean...But a large dog kennel would be completely open, so better ventilation. Another idea to research! :)

Thanks! I think the run will be about 10 by 12 feet, but they will be able to free range at least a couple of hours a day. We have stockade fencing around the backyard, and plan to partition it off into about 3 sections. Someone suggested putting colored string (vinyl?) in no more that two foot intersecting patterns over the area the chickens will be in to discourage hawks. I agree that the more time they can be out in the backyard being chickens, the better.
The idea about discouraging hawks is good. I would actually suggest bird netting though, as its pretty cheap and makes it so the chickens won't fly out and then be stuck outside. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom