Coop in a Garage?

The idea about discouraging hawks is good. I would actually suggest bird netting though, as its pretty cheap and makes it so the chickens won't fly out and then be stuck outside. Good luck!
What a good idea! Is there a specific type that is best for chickens, or a preferred place to purchase it? So much easier to put up than either the string or wire!

Hi Folks,

We have an extra large garage with good ventilation, windows, and a side door. We use it as a gardening shed and storage area. Cars are never inside. I'm wondering about keeping a coop inside the garage, and having the side door open into a large chicken run? In our area, the number of chickens is not regulated, but where a coop can be placed is. In order to avoid any issues with grumpy neighbors (even when placing the coop in an approved spot), keeping the girls (we're planning for between 4 to 6 hens) in the garage, so there are no outdoor coop issues, seems like a good idea. It will also encourage our daughter with autism, who loves chickens (we've cared for some in the past), to help care for them even when the weather is terrible outside. :). These birds are def. pets, though eggs are a nice bonus when they come.

Has anyone successfully done this? What worked, what didn't? I'm actually thinking about purchasing a large coop and just setting it up inside the garage. We would section off this part of the garage so the dust didn't go everywhere, and someone suggested a motorized exhaust fan to help improve ventilation.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

A.
Yes, in a single stall garage not big enough for my prima sauce' 1967 Skylark SS Buick fastback.. Had to leave the door open.. but, there is that issue with chicken dust, Just saying. So just chickens.. Anything and everything will be covered in chicken dust.. enjoy! 25 count.. Had outside run plus they Free Ranged.. and them roosters.. dang.

The two things that would concern me about that kind of setup would be adequate ventilation and dust control.

It's not just the bedding that contributes dust, it's the chickens themselves. Feather dander is amazing in how it floats, spreads, and gets EVERYWHERE. So, rather than sitting a coop in the garage you'd probably be better off completely sealing off an area of the garage so as to contain the dust. Especially if the garage is served by your HVAC system and thus would be pulling feather dander and ammonia from the chicken poop into your household air.

Once sealed from the rest of the garage, the problem would be to provide an adequate amount of ventilation. I don't know how the 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen translates into the amount of air a given fan can move -- your local Ag Extension might be able to help with that. But if you're using a fan, get one rated for use in a barn because that dust is not only likely to clog up an ordinary, household fan but it is flammable and could start a fire in a fan not designed for such use. :)

What a good idea! Is there a specific type that is best for chickens, or a preferred place to purchase it? So much easier to put up than either the string or wire!
I’m not sure if a specific type, I bought the one they had at my Lowe’s for 7 dollars each. I’m sure it’s cheaper somewhere else though. This is the brand
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sta-Green-...-Garden-Extruded-Mesh-Rolled-Fencing/50119483

Do be warned that it can snap easily, and should only be used for the top. It may catch on a door if the door opens inward, stuff like that.

We have an extra large garage with good ventilation, windows, and a side door.
How large is "extra large" in feet by feet?
Some pics would help here, inside and outside of garage.

If they are in the garage, they are protected from the elements and don't need a coop. Just go with a nice dog kennel, add a roost or two and a few nesting boxes and you're good. Dust will be the biggest detractor.
Definitely!
My 6x16 coop is in a large(16x16) shed, everything in the shed is covered with at thick layer of dust.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @AngusMc
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1619186619776.png

The two things that would concern me about that kind of setup would be adequate ventilation and dust control.

It's not just the bedding that contributes dust, it's the chickens themselves. Feather dander is amazing in how it floats, spreads, and gets EVERYWHERE. So, rather than sitting a coop in the garage you'd probably be better off completely sealing off an area of the garage so as to contain the dust. Especially if the garage is served by your HVAC system and thus would be pulling feather dander and ammonia from the chicken poop into your household air.

Once sealed from the rest of the garage, the problem would be to provide an adequate amount of ventilation. I don't know how the 1 square foot of ventilation per adult, standard-sized hen translates into the amount of air a given fan can move -- your local Ag Extension might be able to help with that. But if you're using a fan, get one rated for use in a barn because that dust is not only likely to clog up an ordinary, household fan but it is flammable and could start a fire in a fan not designed for such use. :)
Really good points. Thank you!

How large is "extra large" in feet by feet?
Some pics would help here, inside and outside of garage.

Definitely!
My 6x16 coop is in a large(16x16) shed, everything in the shed is covered with at thick layer of dust.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @AngusMc
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2631173
I'm wondering if I should just get a shed and put it in the garage...but that doesn't account for ventilation. Very good thing I'm not planning on a large flock. The garage itself is well ventilated, but to minimize dust and max. ventilation in a structure like a garage is challenging. Welcoming more suggestions from anyone who is doing this successfully! :)

The garage itself is well ventilated, but to minimize dust and max. ventilation in a structure like a garage is challenging.
Why I asked to see pics of what you've got.

Welcoming more suggestions from anyone who is doing this successfully!
Take a look at My Coop page.

Back
Top Bottom