Coop in a harbor freight greenhouse?

Yep, if this experimental coop of mine doesnt work out and becomes more trouble than its worth than i resort to conventional methods. Luckily though so far so good, keeps them warm while we've had temps in the 20's and 30's, and when we've had some warmer and sunnier days just open the vents and/or pop off the panels as needed. We have another greenhouse we use for its intended purpose of growing plants and are familiar with how quickly they can heat up, hence why i intend to automate as much as possible to keep the chickens comfortable, healthy, and safe even if a chilly rainy day were to suddenly turn hot and sunny while im away.
Also i dont know if you noticed but i put "hardware cloth" metal mesh around the entire inside so when it gets warm i can essentially remove all the wall panels yet still have them contained and protected, so with all the walls off its not too hot, the only time i think itll be tricky is in the in between times in sd pring and fall when temps fluctuate more frequently...

Yes they do sleep in there, by their own will,
Bad habit. Roosts higher than nests will help break it.
Don't want them laying eggs in their poopy bedrooms.

Yes the mesh is there its hard to see in the pic though, and the mesh is wrapped around the interior of everywall so panels and mesh can both be on and then i can remove panels as needed and the mesh is always there,
Sweet!

Bad habit. Roosts higher than nests will help break it.
Don't want them laying eggs in their poopy bedrooms.

Sweet!
I was thinking i could put a roost going from the "2nd floor" of nesting boxes on the right side going to the front of the coop, pretty much over the ramp to the "1st floor" of boxes. That way its up about 3 feet in the air, and out of the way when you walk in and hopefully works for them and me, lol. Only thing i dont like about that is then theyll be pooping right on the ramp, but i want to look into these poop catcher things ive seen people using under roosts to make cleaning easier. Also i realized i am going to have to add something to the ramps to give them a little more traction, seems they tend to have a tough time goin up and down. I know some people use little blocks of wood, so thats in consideration too. Open to ideas or suggestions though as always.

With those silkies not sure a high roost would work.
I'd put a roost and poop board above the low row of nests.
Yes, ramps need cleats. 1/2" high at 4" centers.
But again silkies might not use them?

With those silkies not sure a high roost would work.
I'd put a roost and poop board above the low row of nests.
Yes, ramps need cleats. 1/2" high at 4" centers.
But again silkies might not use them?
Ok, so cleats are on the list, lol. And a poop board, for some reason didnt think of that, just heard people talking about these bag things i think it was, or some sort of other removable catcher i imagined. Also i was not aware that different breeds, such as the silkies, would prefer a different roost than any other, i guess i just assumed a roost was a roost, and i heard they like them elevated, lol. I kinda wish you lived closer, feel like havin you here in person for a day would go a long way.

Ok, so cleats are on the list, lol. And a poop board, for some reason didnt think of that, just heard people talking about these bag things i think it was, or some sort of other removable catcher i imagined. Also i was not aware that different breeds, such as the silkies, would prefer a different roost than any other, i guess i just assumed a roost was a roost, and i heard they like them elevated, lol. I kinda wish you lived closer, feel like havin you here in person for a day would go a long way.
So just went out to check the temp and make sure everything was good in general and figured id take a few more pics to share with ya.

Attachments

• 20200411_110015.jpg
    20200411_110015.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200411_110241.jpg
    20200411_110241.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200411_110031.jpg
    20200411_110031.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200411_105907.jpg
    20200411_105907.jpg
    712.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200411_105953.jpg
    20200411_105953.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200411_105849.jpg
    20200411_105849.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 13
Also i was not aware that different breeds, such as the silkies, would prefer a different roost than any other, i guess i just assumed a roost was a roost, and i heard they like them elevated, lol.
Well, I believe most silkies can't fly well...your results may vary.

Well, I believe most silkies can't fly well...your results may vary.
I had intended for it to be connected to the floor of the top boxes so if they walked up the ramp they could walk right out onto the roosts, just gotta make the ramp a bit more walkable, lol, they do seem to prefer the bottom boxes, but the ramp to that one is at a slightly lower pitch, plus it seems most can easily just kinda jump up to that one no problem which may have something to do with it.

And a poop board, for some reason didnt think of that, just heard people talking about these bag things i think it was, or some sort of other removable catcher i imagined.
Some have removable poop hammocks.
Most use boards.

Here's some posts about it, they're kind of old, but changes are noted.
...and the threads these posts are in has a ton of examples of poop boards.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-111#post-13179595
Updates:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/...ch-x-9-inch-mesh-drawer-organizer-silver.html

Some have removable poop hammocks.
Most use boards.

Here's some posts about it, they're kind of old, but changes are noted.
...and the threads these posts are in has a ton of examples of poop boards.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-111#post-13179595
Updates:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/...ch-x-9-inch-mesh-drawer-organizer-silver.html
Awesome, i got a much better idea of what i should build now, and now i know i gotta get my hands on some pdz stuff and sand. Any idea how wide my poop board should be, i know everybody seems to do it differently but was thinking if i built the roost using 2x3 would a 6 inch wide board with raised edges be wide enough, space is limited and trying to keep it from feeling too cluttered and cramped yet still functional.

Back
Top Bottom