Coop in all shade...is it ok?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hollophil, Apr 17, 2009.

1. hollophil

hollophil Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Bend, Oregon
    Help quick! My dh and son are trying to choose the location for the coop. I need to know if the chickens will be ok if their coop and enclosed run is in primarily SHADE. Our backyard is steep and the sunnier spot would require backfill and buildup to get it level....

2. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    It shouldnt be a problem in the shade. chickens do like to get some sunlight but no it hurt them.

3. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    My coop is in a carport - in the shade- but the chickens have free run of a fenced in yard all day and plenty of sunlight.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yah, coop in shade okay. Let chickens out to run in sun.

5. In the summer, they will love you. In the winter. they are cold no matter what. In the rain, they are wet and in the sun, they may get too hot. I would rather have shade than be in the sun for a coop. I think you have the best situation really.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Except if you live in a rainy or very humid climate. In that case, if you *have* to have an all-shady run I'd suggest putting in 4-6" of gravel right off the bat, as a preventative measure to control odor and flies, which multiply on damp footing.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by