Coop in progress...bad planning?

Pics

SomeChickinTN

Songster
Nov 19, 2018
E TN
My coop is coming along, but I'm trying to figure out if there are flaws in the design before we get too much further....

There is not a level spot anywhere in my yard, so one side is elevated. I know for sure that it's sturdy, but how long will wooden legs last? I worry they will rot and collapse the coop on the one side.

Deep litter doesn't work on a wood floor, right? Is it possible to make the coop level and critter proof with a dirt floor on a slope? My yard sucks. If you can think of a better way to do it, I'm more than happy to hear it.

IMG_20181128_073615.jpg

our coop is on uneven ground and if you have a solid base you should be good. Ours used to be a kids swing set so it was sunk a good two feet to stop the rocking.View attachment 1601664 then we filled in with angle cuts on the bottom. Been standing for 20 years (kids and neices used the swing for over 15 years); chicken coop 2 years!

That's awesome

Is it possible to make the coop level and critter proof with a dirt floor on a slope? My yard sucks. If you can think of a better way to do it, I'm more than happy to hear it.

You could use landscape blocks to make a level area then fill it with dirt to have a level dirt floor. But if your trying to make a coop out of some junk pallets I'm guessing that buying landscape blocks are out of the question.

JT

Last edited:
How will you stabilise it if you can't secure the legs into the ground?

I have steep land and was planning something similar. Changed my mind and doing a hoop type coop running with the slope of the land and inside making a slight raised and level area for laying nests. By slight I mean just off the ground in case of water.

I'm not sure. That's why I'm trying to figure it out before it goes too much further. I haven't figured out what a hoop coop is yet....
The idea of building a huge garden box type foundation is appealing, but will the rain runoff be a problem?

You could use landscape blocks to make a level area then fill it with dirt to have a level dirt floor. But if your trying to make a coop out of some junk pallets I'm guessing that buying landscape blocks are out of the question.

JT

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine. No, I'm not dropping $1000 into a chicken coop. My junk pallets will do just fine for what I need them to. Thanks for your two cents.

Back
Top Bottom