Coop in progress

Froggiesmom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 29, 2012
Tehachapi, CA
My Coop
My Coop
We are newbies at this, and are converting a shed to a coop. I have the pics posted to my blog and inserted them here as well. Will update as we go!

http://froggybottomfarms.blogspot.com

This is the shed.

We have one window in and are insulating. We will be adding some electrical for heat lamps. Another window and a couple doors with ramps, roosting poles, nesting boxes and a temporary guinea nursery area will all be in by end of the month...just in time for the chick to vacate the brooder and make room for the goslings (who will also need a shelter), and then the guineas go into the brooder when they arrive in early May.

Progress...painted and a smaller single door installed..trim painting in progress. My husband said he is gonna put a deck/porch around it for me too with some planter boxes and I even found a pretty chicken door knocker. Cute. Excuse the swamp cooler.
tongue.png

Thanks much! I love Julian...used to live in Escondido and I pass through there often for my work. Beautiful place. Did alot of my archaeology training up there in Cuyamaca.

Well we worked really hard and had some other projects get in the way, but when we came home from a mini-vaca to an egg on the floor we figured it was time to get those nesting boxes in. That and the goslings were housed with the chickens for awhile until their aviary was ready and those two little darlings destroyed the black-white tile floor. So we had to rip that out and replace it. Hubby built me the nesting boxes from scratch and Cythiona was the first one in there laying eggs. We only have the front half of the coop interior to replace the floor and finish some trip and we are done...finally. Oh, and the guineas are here and in the kennel/brooder making friends with the chickens. Pics below of the Chickmansion and the Goosegow and you can always check out the blog at www.froggybottomfarms.blogspot.com, my version of relaxation therapy. Sorry about all the pics, but it has been a looong time and alot has gone on.

And, my husband decided to build me a big deck so I can just site and relax and watch my son play and tend to my gardens. He has been so busy. I have MS and limited abilities/mobility anymore and get wiped out pretty quickly (which is not fun when you are an archaeologist),. I have the best husband in the world!
Chicken aviary on the right next to my herb garden and memorial garden (we lost two baby chicks and my son was devastated so he made little wooden crosses, and that old rocking chair represents my gramma).

My son and his girls upon entering their remodeled Chickmansion.

The girls...new nesting boxes and mirror. The mirror is more of less for the guineas cause the are like parakeets and like to look at themselves. The chickens are intrigued but get bored pretty fast.

The Guinea-Gals, Bali, Silly, Ginny and Esmerelda. They are handshy and no matter how much I try to hold them they freak out. I hope they calm down as they grow. This was about three weeks ago, so three more in the kennel and then six in the aviary and then they can roam.

Samson and Delilah in their new aviary...they get out to roam for a couple hours aday. I did not count on my dogs thinking all my birds were a snack, so I will have to phase in the roaming altogether factor over the next few months.

The garden to the north of the coop

Wow, such a beautiful setup!!! As for Julian, we went apple picking there once before we moved (used to be on Camp Pendleton). :) But back to your build, it is really impressive and I hope to have that much dedicated space, and have it looking so good, one day!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom