1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Coop infested with earwigs.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by barg, Aug 2, 2007.

1. barg

barg Songster

Apr 27, 2007
    Should I care? [​IMG]
    Can they do any harm? [​IMG]
    I had seen a few around; they are all over out in the yard, so I didn’t think much of it.
    I had also seen a few in the coop and had seen the chickens relaxing and eating the occasion one that happened by.

When I moved the coop recently, it became apparent how many of these things there are in there, hundreds, maybe thousands. [​IMG]

I looked them up and didn’t see anything about them eating wood, but I never found anything that said they didn’t either.

Anyone know of any cause for concern or should I just consider them “free lunch" for the chickens [​IMG]

2. barg

barg Songster

Apr 27, 2007
    Great link, thanks!
    Looks like they amount to, kinda disgusting but really, no more then a free lunch.
    It also sounds like the coop is the absolute perfect place for them to want to be, so I guess they aren’t going anywhere until winter ... if ever.

Thanks again for the info, next time though, could you edit yourself?
    I had a hard time finding the relevant information in all your banter
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Every morning I open the door and a big pile of them fall to the floor. The chicks eat a few.... then run to the cat dish!!!

That was a good article. Never really thought they did anything other than be a nuisance.

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Songster

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Every morning I open the door and a big pile of them fall to the floor

Same here. It went on for a few weeks and they all just chowed down. Havent seen many the past couple of weeks. Now I've got a huge swarm of ants. :mad:

5. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Songster

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i got those too i just called them pincher bugs lol. they come by the dozens lol.
    good artical.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: