Coop infested with earwigs.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by barg, Aug 2, 2007.

1. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Should I care? [​IMG]
    Can they do any harm? [​IMG]
    I had seen a few around; they are all over out in the yard, so I didn’t think much of it.
    I had also seen a few in the coop and had seen the chickens relaxing and eating the occasion one that happened by.

When I moved the coop recently, it became apparent how many of these things there are in there, hundreds, maybe thousands. [​IMG]

I looked them up and didn’t see anything about them eating wood, but I never found anything that said they didn’t either.

Anyone know of any cause for concern or should I just consider them “free lunch" for the chickens [​IMG]

2. barg

barg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Great link, thanks!
    Looks like they amount to, kinda disgusting but really, no more then a free lunch.
    It also sounds like the coop is the absolute perfect place for them to want to be, so I guess they aren’t going anywhere until winter ... if ever.

Thanks again for the info, next time though, could you edit yourself?
    I had a hard time finding the relevant information in all your banter
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Every morning I open the door and a big pile of them fall to the floor. The chicks eat a few.... then run to the cat dish!!!

That was a good article. Never really thought they did anything other than be a nuisance.

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Every morning I open the door and a big pile of them fall to the floor

Same here. It went on for a few weeks and they all just chowed down. Havent seen many the past couple of weeks. Now I've got a huge swarm of ants. :mad:

5. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i got those too i just called them pincher bugs lol. they come by the dozens lol.
    good artical.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by