coop inside hoop house

bj taylor

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
North Central Texas
i'm brand new to chickens & byc. we started our coop yesterday (gorgeous day). we're building it inside my hoop house & they'll have a nice outside area as well. i can't wait to see it completed. i'm still trying to figure out what kind of chickens to get. i want pretty heavy ones & preferably dual purpose. ideally i want brown eggs (just because). plan on having everything ready in time for spring. by the way, i love this site. i've already learned so much just from reading here.
everyone have a great day.

Enjoy your upcoming chickens and coop.

If you need help deciding which breeds to get, try the BREED SELECTOR TOOL to give you some ideas.

Good luck!

smile.png

My favorite heavy is Jersey Giant. They're docile, huge and lay well. They come in Black, White and Blue.
There are lots of others though. Rocks, Orps, AOrps, Wyandottes, Welsummers, Brahmas, Buckeyes, Ameracaunas/EEs, and on and on and on.

i forgot to mention that i live in hot texas. the breed selector info indicates wyandottes are cold tolerant. i will have shade for them, i wonder if that is sufficient or if i need to cross them off my list.

Most chicken breeds do not tolerate heat nearly as well as they tolerate cold.

There are a lot of folks who live in HOT climates who post very good tips on keeping their flocks cool during the hotter months.

smile.png

we live in cold climate so our faves won't work for you. but I want to put a good word in for the info on www.mypetchicken.com

they have great info on what to order for various climate needs, they have rare and interesting breeds and will ship fewer chicks than many. I envy you too. as much as I love our year olds, it was So much fun brooding the little ones in a box in our kitchen, then bringing them outside the first time....etc. etc.!

Back
Top Bottom