1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coop inside hoop house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bj taylor, Nov 5, 2011.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i'm brand new to chickens & byc. we started our coop yesterday (gorgeous day). we're building it inside my hoop house & they'll have a nice outside area as well. i can't wait to see it completed. i'm still trying to figure out what kind of chickens to get. i want pretty heavy ones & preferably dual purpose. ideally i want brown eggs (just because). plan on having everything ready in time for spring. by the way, i love this site. i've already learned so much just from reading here.
    everyone have a great day.

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Enjoy your upcoming chickens and coop.

If you need help deciding which breeds to get, try the BREED SELECTOR TOOL to give you some ideas.

Good luck!

[​IMG]

3. prairiehen74369

prairiehen74369 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    north east oklahoma
    Got to put in a good word for Silver Laced Wyandotts for good looks brown eggs. Enjoy your coop. I'm envious.

4. bj taylor

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    thanks;
    i have looked @ that site for choosing breeds. i need to study it some more. i'm looking forward to learning how to post pics also.

5. bj taylor

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    silver laced wyandotts huh? i'm going to check them out right now. thanks

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    My favorite heavy is Jersey Giant. They're docile, huge and lay well. They come in Black, White and Blue.
    There are lots of others though. Rocks, Orps, AOrps, Wyandottes, Welsummers, Brahmas, Buckeyes, Ameracaunas/EEs, and on and on and on.

7. bj taylor

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i forgot to mention that i live in hot texas. the breed selector info indicates wyandottes are cold tolerant. i will have shade for them, i wonder if that is sufficient or if i need to cross them off my list.

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Most chicken breeds do not tolerate heat nearly as well as they tolerate cold.

There are a lot of folks who live in HOT climates who post very good tips on keeping their flocks cool during the hotter months.

[​IMG]

9. Trishkabob

Trishkabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2010
    Schuylerville, NY
    we live in cold climate so our faves won't work for you. but I want to put a good word in for the info on www.mypetchicken.com

they have great info on what to order for various climate needs, they have rare and interesting breeds and will ship fewer chicks than many. I envy you too. as much as I love our year olds, it was So much fun brooding the little ones in a box in our kitchen, then bringing them outside the first time....etc. etc.!

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG] To the BYC [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by