Coop insulation ? in the UP of MI

I echo Pat's concerns. Not only is there out-gassing, it's the wrong time of year to use solvent-based substances, even paint, Plus, chickens peel latex and silicon strips wherever the find them and can become impacted, Please re-think the method of insulation. one method shown in our home page linked below, keep in mind we are rodent free. House wrap like Typar or Tyvex is far safer, used on outside and may be sufficient in your climate which is similar to Pats' and to ours.

cool.png

Last edited:
i'm from lower michigan and last year a couple of my hens got frostbite on their combs. so this year i did insulate, only the roosting area. we put insulation in the ceiling over their poles, down the 2 walls in that area, and covered it with some very thin beadboard scraps. my coop is by no means airtight, so i'm not too worried that they won't have adequate ventilation. also, we tried to find an affordable small ceiling vent - settled on a dryer vent cover which gives them additional venting w/o drafts. i have a brooding light hung in a corner on the opposite side of the coop (coop is only 10 feet wide) for those that want a little extra warmth. i found all 10 of them "in the glow" on monday afternoon, our first gloomy, damp and cold day.

also, this year we put a small box at the opening of the coop exit so that there would be limited draft but still access to the run when they wanted it.

4455_coop_entrance.jpg

Thanks all I will be getting the gorilla wrap at menards. I will not be using an smelly stuff or paint. I will be putting one of those little houses by the little outside door, that is a great idea thanks.

So:

Here is how it will go from the inside out.

Wall frame, then outside paneling panels, then the pink foam insulation, then the house wrap. And next year another layer of outside paneling. That should give them 1/2 in of wood with a 1/2 of insulation and a house wrap on the inside.

Then next year another 1/2 of wood.

They will each have a long florecent light fixture, one reg light, one plant light (for red). If I have to I can add some red heat lamps as well for the really cold days.

Does this sound right? Am I missing anything?

All I keep thinking of is those 3 weeks of winter last Jan where when I took my daughter to work everyday the bank sign reading
-16 degrees. That wasn't reading the wind chill in it.

Sorry I haven't got back to you all sooner to thank you and reply. I have had the flu really bad for 3 days now and still don't show much signs of it leaving. Thanks

Rather than start ANOTHER insulation thread I'll ask here first and hope it's not too old a thread to get a response.

I'm still planning my coop and have been batting the insulation idea around a lot. I think I've decided to insulate but I think I'd like to use the foil covered 1/2 inch sheets of insulation rather than the pink fiberglass. i was thinking the sheets would be less likely to collect moisture and thus more resistant to mold (a huge problem out here in Iowa). I'd cover the out side with OSB or Exterior plywood and then put the insulation sheets inside covered with 1/4 inch OSB. I'd vent in the winter from the top via a copula and windows during summer. I'd heat with passive solar (south facing windows) and heat lamps over the roosts on really cold nights.

Does that sound acceptable?

I'm now looking to keep my birdies in Styrofoam cooler with no air movement but I'd like to keep them comfy.

Quote:
Wait, I'm not sure I understand... do you mean you are putting the rigid foamboard insulation on the OUTSIDE of the coop, not between studs? If you do that, how are you going to securely attach the outermost siding?

They will each have a long florecent light fixture, one reg light, one plant light (for red).

Why the "plant light for red"???

Pat​

Zookeeper, it sounds like you're on the right track!
cool.png

Clay- we used the fibreglass/vapor seal/tuck tape method and sheathed indoors with OSB. Full details and pics in my home page linked below.

Echoing Pat on the exposed foamboard...you must folow the manufacturers directions, and keep in mind that chickens will consume foam like popcorn and can become impacted and die.

The only other caution I would make is that you want to be rodent-free, which we are, before starting an insulation project. Mice and rats will chew insulation and nest in it, even in styrofoam.

Also, anyone using a heat lamp in the coop or light to extend daylight, should *offset* the lights, as birds can burn combs especially if frozen, if forced directly under a bulb (also shown in a pic on hime page).

Last edited:
I dont recommend heat lights above roosts. aim the heat light at a safe distance towards the floor. Let that radiant heat float up and warm the birds, they are not plates of food to keep warm under the lights.
cool.png
If they get too cold, they will move down to the heat. I use one big red bulb at night, aimed at the floor, and have never had a touch of frostbite, and I aim the light at the water container, and this keeps my water from freezing as well. tho I have noticed that I have to refill a bit more often....

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Quote:
Wait, I'm not sure I understand... do you mean you are putting the rigid foamboard insulation on the OUTSIDE of the coop, not between studs? If you do that, how are you going to securely attach the outermost siding?

They will each have a long florecent light fixture, one reg light, one plant light (for red).

Why the "plant light for red"???

Pat​

I will have this winter (extept where the walls are exposed to the run that will be finished with the last layer of the outside paneling)

studs then outside paneling then the foam insulation then the house wrap. And as soon as possiable another layer of the outside paneling. The wall with exposer to the chickens will be finished with the outside paneling right away.

This plan can be changed as I am waiting to buy everything till he is ready to put it up and that is why I am here learning. I am going to LynneP site to check her coop right now.

Thanks all please keep helping me with this as I want what is best for my feathered friends and I want to do it right the first time.

As far as the plant light I know it throws off a red light and they are suppose to be able to see better with red and it is suppose to help so they don't pick and it is suppose to make them calmer. Now if that is true I don't know but I didn't think it would hurt to go with better safe then sorry. I also will put it in the middle of the coop not over the roost as I was afraid of burning the combs.

Thanks again.

For what it's worth, I'm in Michigan as well; I did not insulate my coop, and I do not have any heat source in it. I have not had issues whatsoever.
smile.png

Zookeeper: I too am confused by your explanation. Here is what I'm doing from the OUTSIDE to the inside:

7/16 inch hardboard siding
House wrap
2 inches of styrofoam (much cheaper than the pink stuff, though not as good) between the 2x4 studs
Tile board (covering the styrofoam and a 1 1/2 inch air space)

The tile board is a slick finish paneling typically used in bathrooms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom