Coop insulation question

I too am planning on insulating my coop against the heat and cold. The local animal rescue center offers free bales of hay as insulation in the wintertime for outdoor dwelling pets, and may well take advantage of that as well to create a breakwind around the run in the wintertime. We get pretty windy here, and also very cold in the winter, and hot and humid in the summer. Oof.

You don't need that in Hickory NC. The weather is not much different than it is here in the Upstate SC. Even places further North such as Elkin and Wilkesboro NC have chickens in uninsulated coops. Heck the commercial farmers in that area only use tin buildings.

I did insulate my D'uccle coop because the stuff was free. I used Styrofoam covered by Coroplast (plastic cardboard) advertising signs and painted the interior.

Last edited:
I live in Ohio and and we had a nasty winter. Our coop is up off the ground about 6 inches in the front and two and half feet on the back. There is no such thing as flat land here. LOL Its wired so they can't get underneath the coop and lay eggs there. This winter I stood some plywood up against the north side to keep the wind from blowing under the coop bad. The floor was covered in 7 or more inches of straw/wood chips. There one vent up by the roof line. I would cover your open wall for sure during the winter. Drafts are really bad for chickens. Also our coop has no heat in it ... yet!

Back
Top Bottom