coop insulation

Christine21656

Chirping
12 Years
Jan 26, 2010
Oakdale, MN/Somerset, WI
If I got that tyvek insulation, that wraps around the outside of the coop, and put siding on top, would that be enough insulation? I am in MN, and planned on using the regular stuff, but this would save me on some cutting if I just have it that way. I am planning on making it with 2x4's and plywood, and have it all planned out, I just wanted some opinions on this
smile.png
I have never actually seen that tyvek stuff up close, and don't know how good of a job it does, that's why I'm asking
smile.png

ETA: Nevermind! I just did some research that I should have done before posting!
tongue.png
I will be going with the regular stuff!

Last edited:
The only tyvek I am familiar with is NOT insulation, it is vapor-barrier (housewrap) and has zero insulation value. Also it is highly debatable whether it is purposeful to put vapor barrier in a coop (whole nother discussion, won't opne can of worms right now unless you want to)

Actual insulation would be, like, fiberglass batts or rigid foamboard, both of which pretty much have to be installed on the INSIDE of the wall sheathing and thus require something peckproof to protect them from the chickens (at least at chicken level).

I don't know of any insulation that can be put *between * wall sheathing and siding, without seriously compromising the attachment of the siding. Assuming you mean normal siding (metal or vinyl or whatever)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Agree with above regarding tyvek or any other house wrap. It's not insulation. Rigid foam can definitely be installed on the outside of the house. They do it all the time on roofs. You'll need to search exterior rigid foam installation for complete instructions. Here is a link to a video which shows one way of doing it.
I you already have exterior sheathing on the house you can add furring strips. These are typically added vertically every 16" or 2 feet. They are strips of wood which will act as your studs when complete. If you are putting up 2" foam, put up 2" thick firring strips first. Then fill the area between the firring strips with the rigid foam. When complete, you can attach your exterior siding to the firring strips. Tons of info available online.

Thank you! I think I will just get the foam, or the fiberglass insulation (whatever that's called) and have plywood on the inside and outside, plus siding. I really didn't know what that tyvek stuff was, just saw it on some houses and thought I'd ask
smile.png

While we're on the subject of insulation, what do you folks think about insulating the coop floor? I insulated everything else, but completely forgot about the floor. My coop has a raised plywood floor with about 6 inches or so of airspace underneath.

Elmo, if you put some skirting around the perimeter of the house to keep wind from blowing underneath that might help some. I too forgot to insulate the floor, and I use sand. It hasn't really been a problem that I've noticed. I used wood shavings for a while, then switched to sand. The thermometer in the hen house says it didn't make any difference as far as temperature goes. The girls body heat usually keeps it 10 to 12 degrees warmer in the house than outside, regardless what is on the floor.

We're toying with the idea of gluing a layer of ridged foam insulation between two layers of plywood to build insulated walls for our coop. May be overkill for our mild weather here in the PNW.

Back
Top Bottom