Coop is all done - link to pics inside

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AnKa, Apr 4, 2009.

1. AnKa

AnKa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Today was a big day. The teenage girls moved out!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=172113&id=1575386991&l=c7c1f0767d

Preliminary feedback on my coop - while it isn't that large and the door isn't full human sized, it is very comfortable to reach into the coop. Today I hung the feeder and waterer without much trouble at all. The nest boxes are NOT on the outside like so many people here do, since I was worried about being able to insulate them enough. So they're simply right next to the human door.
    The whole coop has 4" walls with R-13 insulation in it. I hope that will keep them warm. Since the chicks aren't fully feathered out, and we still get night frosts here in MA, they've currently got 2 heat lamps going.
    Also I am not sure if they understand that they're supposed to drink from the hanging steel waterer. They got the hang of the feeder but I must make sure tomorrow that they know how to drink.

I gave them baby spinach for a treat that was sort of starting to wilt and they LOVED it.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    It looks great, and especially after you finished painting it, your chicks will love you for that, and don't worry your chicks are worm enough, mine are 4 weeks old and they are also in thier coop.

good Luck.

Omran

3. llamagirl

llamagirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Western NC
    Nice Coop!
    Are you planning to put a run where the pop door is? Since the roof is slanted toward the pop door that is where your water will run making it muddy. I would suggest doing a gutter into a rain barrel with a spigot on it. You'll have your water handy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by