Coop is almost finished (It's Done!!!!)-now for the run

I received my 26 Rhode Island Reds about a month ago, and pretty soon they will be moving into their new home.
I used alot of old lumber and all the plywood from an old barn/shed I tore down, which kept the costs down. I also had some roofing material left over from my new barn build, so that helped too, and the windows also came from the old barn.
The siding is shiplap pine with Flood CWF stain on it (just the front is stained in this picture)
I wanted to keep the coop up off the ground to keep an eye on the floor and rodent activity, also makes for a nice place for the chickens to go when the snow piles up. I can lower it if I want to, not sure yet, and I can even slide a trailer under it and move it if needed.
Here's what it looks like today, some more trim work and the windows will be ready to hook up to hinges, a door and steps, and a run.
I plan to free range with a portable run made out of PVC, so the run at the coop will be on the small size for now.
More pictures can be seen here

I love your coop, it looks so roomy. How high are the legs and what pitch did you use on your roof?

I love your coop, it looks so roomy. How high are the legs and what pitch did you use on your roof?

Thanks

The floor is about 30" off the ground, so the legs are a little over 24" to the bottom of the coop frame.
The pitch on the roof is a good question. I just came up with the roof design this way.
The coop is 8x12 so I bought 12' 2x6's for the roof. The front rafter is 5' and the rear is 7' and there is a 7" overhang front and back.
Hope that helps.

Quote:
from the outside you don't notice one side is longer than the other. I want to do a coop within a 10x12 covered run and I'm not sure how long each rafter will be, so I guess I can be safe and use 8'.

I finished the run. I cut a trap door in the floor and placed a ramp down to the grass below, with chicken wire around the legs of the coop. This gives the chickens an 8x12 area to do what they do without the rain or snow bothering them.

I then built an 16'x6' run which I attached to the coop between two legs. I opened up the chicken wire there and the chickens can now move to the new grass. After a week or whenever the grass starts to get worn out, I will slide the 16x6 run over to the next section between the legs. This way I can have the chickens on good grass and give each section 3 weeks to recover.(I can't use the back sections on the coop, a nice blueberry bush takes up too much space, plus the nesting boxes will go there)

Here is the new run

I finished the run. I cut a trap door in the floor and placed a ramp down to the grass below, with chicken wire around the legs of the coop. This gives the chickens an 8x12 area to do what they do without the rain or snow bothering them.

I then built an 16'x6' run which I attached to the coop between two legs. I opened up the chicken wire there and the chickens can now move to the new grass. After a week or whenever the grass starts to get worn out, I will slide the 16x6 run over to the next section between the legs. This way I can have the chickens on good grass and give each section 3 weeks to recover.(I can't use the back sections on the coop, a nice blueberry bush takes up too much space, plus the nesting boxes will go there)

Here is the new run

Here is the new run

Here is the new run

Here is the new run

Here is the new run

Back
Top Bottom