Coop is built, quick questions about my setup before winter

I see where you need to either make/get a bigger coop or get rid of some of the flock but what really worries me is the ventilation issue. You do need to get them more ventilation, I would hate to see them suffer from the issues that comes up with that. I use the straw for the DLM along with DE. There isn't an odor and it stays dry in the coop but I do live in the desert and it's very dry in Summer but we get snow in Winter and very cold but not as cold as you. So, you can keep the straw until you run out and then go to shavings if you want but Good Earth recommends straw for the coop due to it trapping heat in it.

I like your coop too.

So the local elevator has DE powder $8.95 for 5lbs. They sell pine shavings but as soon as I said that she said pine shavings hold more moisture...
She has raised chickens for 20 years and says they use stall dry on a dirt floor then straw, the DE. She didn't know if that would apply to a wood floor like mine.

I am going to buy some shavings, and I already have straw. I will pull out the straw this weekend, and switch to shavings.

Avalon, I might take you up on that. I am thinking I might have about 3 of them you could have.

Everyone, again thanks for the help!

-Jason

Howdy from a Midlander... we are working on getting the city of Midland to allow chickens currently. The issue comes before the city council in a couple of weeks then they'll vote some time in November. Just thought I'd say "hi".

Cute little coop.

Mark

Quote:
Yep, right. I couldn't see your pics from work, but now that I see them I agree with everyone else, that is definitely too small for that many chickens. Also, do what you want of course, but I would not have that heat lamp in there. Definite fire hazard and the chickens really don't need the heat. I think this is especially true if your coup is full (by full I mean 6 chickens). It would be good if you changed out those perches for 2x4's laid flat. The chickens when sitting on them will then have their feet covered. I have heard they can get frost bite toe from small or round perches.

i amnot sure on what is going on but if I remember right chickens slow way down laying eggs during winter and fall months,my chickens are still laying good but no where as good as they were.My quail have completly stopped laying

Fiddleman, thanks for saying hi. We are out in homer township, not sure what the ordinance is there, didn't check before I built the coop.
hmm.png
I was actually trying to look it up online. If they let me vote I will come to the meeting and vote FOR chickens.

I will be cutting down on my chickens, thanks everyone for the advice! Also, Moetrout I like the idea of swapping out the perches for 2x4's I have some in the garage now.

Going to put some vents in that I can close and make sure my windows can open and close as needed.

Everyone, I appreciate the advice, very glad I joined the site!!

You don't need to buy vents (although you probably have) and you don't need to heat the coop. Cut a hole, cover with hardware cloth, add (maybe) a wooden shutter, and you're done. They suffer most from humidity and ammonia buildup. They do not suffer from the cold until it's WELL below freezing. Theyu need a wide enough roost to be able to cover their feet with their body; the wide side of a 2x4 is a frequent approach.

In case you haven't run across this, here is an excellent writeup on both cold weather coops and ventilation. Also, a link about heat.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421122

Back
Top Bottom