Coop lighting.

We use a light in the evening during the winter months so egg production doesn't drop off. DH put a dimmer switch on the outside of coop so we can dim the light when it's bedtime before turning it all the way off. It usually takes them about 15 mins to get up on roosts when I start the process, but DH has them trained to get right up on roost. He's not as patient as me and they know it. LOL.
We used a heavyweight extension cord last winter, but he's in the process of setting up the coop with a solar panel/battery system for next fall/winter.
The dimmer switch also allows me to enter the coop when needed without turning on the bright light which tends to get them up and moving (and eating).

Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to give them a try. I just want something for this summer, that will come on when it gets dark inside to get them to roost so that all I have to do is go out and shut the door. The way it is now I have an extension cord running through my back yard and the coop can only be so far away from the house. With a solar night light I can ditch the extension cord and put the coop out on the back fence line away from the house. Come winter time I'll need a solution to my electrical issue. That solution will either be running an extra large extension cord or if I have the time trenching the yard and running an electrical line for a more permanent coop and run. I can see the money flying out of my wallet right now! That first egg is getting really expensive!

I thought I would post back to say that my new solar walk way lights are working great! I bought 2 at Home Depot for $3.88 each. The light sensor and solar panel are on one side and the led light is on the other side. So...., if you can follow this, what I did was left one as is and put it in one window with the light sensor and solar panel pointing out. This allows the solar panel to charge the battery, but on this one the light does not turn on until it is dark OUTSIDE. The other light I took apart (3 small screws) and pulled the light sensor over to the side where the led light is and then put it in the other coup window. This one has the solar panel pointing out for charging and the light sensor and led light pointing in, which means it turns on when it get dark INSIDE the coup. So far my birds are going in by themselves and all I have to do is shut the pop door. I still need to figure out my winter solution. Without electricity I will be constantly hauling water out due to freezing temps.

Back
Top Bottom