Coop lighting.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by moetrout, Jun 2, 2010.

1. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
  2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It doesn't appear to turn off; turns on at dusk, off at dawn. You don't want your coop lit up all night long, do you? If you do, I guess this is a fun option.

3. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    I am going to get a couple of the tap lights when winter gets here - that way if it is dark and I have to go out I can just tap 'em on and off. I know they aren't super bright, but as dark as it gets out here they should be bright enough. Just a thought...

4. Nevada Desert Chick

Nevada Desert Chick Out Of The Brooder

Quote:Excellent idea!!!! You could train the birds to tap the lights off when they're ready for bed and tap them on when they want a midnight snack... [​IMG]

5. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
  6. six little chicks

six little chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Hornell, NY
    My boyfriend ran electricty to our coop, and we have two lights out there, but we only use them if needed, other wise we put an LED night light out there with a sensor, not too bright, just enough so it's not pitch black out there, if you know what I mean.

7. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Quote:Excellent idea!!!! You could train the birds to tap the lights off when they're ready for bed and tap them on when they want a midnight snack... [​IMG]

[​IMG] I would have the SMARTEST chickens in TEXAS! Maybe I will go out and start teaching them.....

8. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I use two landscape lights. They spend the day charging outside and at night I take them in the coop. Not much light but enough for the pullets to see to get back on the perches if they fall off and enough for me to see if I need to go in at night.

9. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Hi,
    I have a solar "night light" on in winter. (Comes on after the 50W HPS goes off, so birds can find roost.) I do not think the solar lights are bright enough if you want to supplement light in winter for egg laying. But work fine for me to see and the birds to find the roost after the big light goes off.

ON

10. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    We just put a 15 watt bulb on at night. We just ran a drop cord out to the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by