Coop litter

BlackRose89

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 4, 2014
Idk if this is the right place to ask, but it's coop related, so I'm hoping I'm putting it in the right forum.

What is the best litter to use in a coop if I want to use the litter for the garden? I think if I remember right pine shavings don't break down very well and I'm on a tight budget so I want to stick with something cheap... Suggestions?

There is no "best" for everyone. We all have what we prefer depending on our climates. If you are looking for something for the garden I would suggest that you look into the deep litter method. I have seen some people that do it with once or twice clean out a year and grass clippings, leaves, hay, or straw as bedding. The deep litter method needs to start out with at least 4" bedding and you add as needed. It is basically a compost pile in your coop and needs to be treated that way. It needs to either be stirred by you or your chickens on a regular basis. Some throw scratch in their coop on areas that need a good sturring and let the chickens do the work for them. This is a compost pile so it requires good ventilation.

Pine shavings will break down just fine it just takes longer. I do deep litter and clean the coops a couple times a year. When I do I just pile it up and just leave it alone till I clean the coops again and by then the old pile is ready for the garden. I used the last batch for garlic and sugar snap peas,worked great.

We don't have a real compost pile, just an old tomato crate I throw stuff in that I cut a section out so I can shovel stuff out. It's a "no turn" compost so oldest stuff is on the bottom where u can shovel it out, and so far I've never got it full enough to use lol. I was thinking shoveling the coop out into a wheelbarrow then spreading it down the center walkway area in between rows and tilling it under. The bug control and fertilizer are more important to me than the eggs honestly.

Last edited:
I'm a new chicken mama & found hay & wood shavings stressful: too much volume that takes way too longe to break down. One day while shedding some mail I got the idea to use the shedded paper for litter and it works great!! Highly absorbant and easily broken down. AND IT'S FREE! I shread all my newspaper and appropriate junk mail. I'm going to try layering it this winter with a little added pine needles and some hay. I would like to try "deep Litter" for the winter (I live in New England...Burrrr) but it sounds kinda mean to make them live in a dirty cage...I currently have 4 chickens in a 4x6 quaker coop.

I am personally using fine pine shavings, but have only had my coop and chickens for a few days. However, I am a resident composting expert and I guarantee you pine shavings mixed with a high nitrogen item like chicken poo is going to compost just fine. I have an electric chipper shredder that I grind up sticks from my yard with and they compost down just fine and are much heftier than pine shavings... and that is without chicken poo to help speed it along.

You will also want to research DLM (deep litter method) which essentially composts the litter and poo actively in the coop/run and you scoop it only once a year.

What is the deep litter method?
Search the forums here for DLM or "deep litter method". A lot of the threads will point you to http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/388/litter-quality-and-broiler-performance

And at a higher level explanation DLM is basically letting litter build up in the coop over time with a high carbon material that will naturally compost as the chickens poop in it. The key is the litter stays relatively dry. The chickens can be put to work to scratch and mix the bedding by throwing scratch grains in them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom