Coop location

VictoriaChickie

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 24, 2013
Vancouver Island, Canada
Hi all,
I am building a coop for 5 hens this winter and I am trying to find the best location in my back yard.
I have some space between/under a mature pear tree and a mature apple tree where I just dug up a huge bed of mint and lemon balm.
The space is roughly 14feet buy 14feet under/between the trees in size, and I am planing an enclosure of 10 by 10 feet (5 by 5 foot coop, raised, and 75sq feet chicken run).
Is this too close to the fruit trees?
As in, will the chicken manure/runoff burn the roots of the trees?
I think that it would be a good space, since it will give the spot shade in the summer and sun in the winter.
Let me know what you all think.
Thanks for your advice.
-VictoriaChickie

The roots of the mature trees are deep in the ground and poo won't hurt them. Put it where they can get both shade & sunshine each day.
Size is ok but I'd make it bigger if it wasn't much extra effort.

-sounds like a good plan to have them near a tree. Our run is underneath a large oak tree. We do scoop up the run, daily. -don't let waste build up. We scoop and add all of it (from 10 birds) to our compost bins. -have had no adverse effects on the tree thus far. I do rake the run after scooping and make certain that some of the surface roots stay nice and covered. I don't let the chickens dig down too much before adding/spreading around fresh soil. -tree makes a grade shade for 'em in the summer! -best of luck on your coop/run plans!!

I would build the coop bigger as well. I'm always extending mine. You might find yourself adding more birds. :). Your trees will be fine, the fruit will get dusty. I have a roof also extending outside the coop to keep the girls dry along with a few roosts. They like staying outside regardless of the weather. In our winters here with all that rain, I have added wood chips in the outside run. You can call the local tree services and ask for it and it's free. I ask for it without cedar.

Thanks all,
great info, just what I was looking for.
Unfortunately, I can't increase my flock size, because of the limit set for our area.
But I think I can make the coop/run slightly larger, especially if it will help the chicks to be happier/healthier/less smelly.
I have also been hearing a lot of good things about the deep litter method as well, and have found a source for free coffee chaff, which I have also heard is good for bedding as well.
I am definitely gonna have at least 2/3rds of the run covered as well.
That is a good tip about wood chips for the run, as we do get a lot of rain on the island (it is torrential today in fact).
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom