Coop made from 2x4's and particle board.

mystang89

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Louisville
A little late now but I'd still like to know. About 3 months ago I built my first chicken coop. I know that making the walls and floor of the coop with particle board is probably the worst material to make it with but money was the main problem that made me go that route. I made sure to lift the coop off the ground so there is about 8 inches between it and the dirt. I put Thomsons Wood sealer on the wood along with painting the outside of it with oil based paint. I tried to seal up all the cracks with waterproof/resistant silicone. The roof has shingles on it, though if I had the chance I would definitely go with metal. So, with this information can and of you tell me about how long you expect this coop to last? Also, I live in Kentucky so that's the weather we're dealing with.

Frankly,I'd be more concerned about low long my chickens would last in a particle board coop over how long the coop would last. That is if by particle board you mean the cardboard like material. Any of the predators(even rats and mice,let alone coons or dogs) we have in the Kentuckiana area can chew through particle board in a matter of minutes. If you are refering to chip-board style,also called OSB plywood,you'll have safer chickens and the coop should last several years if it's kept well painted. The shingles should last as long as metal roofing so not much problem there.

Yeah, sorry if I was unclear. I've always referred to OSB Plywood as particle board. With how easily I've seen it, (Particle/OSB Plywood) soak up water before I wasn't sure even with all the protection I tried putting on it how long that it would last.

Cool, thanks alot. I'll put some silicon on the edges of the door since I neglected that and will over look it again just to be on the safe side.

You could go "OldStyle" and wrap the coop in tar paper, and seal all the joints with roof tar/sealant. I'll bet you get alot more service life out of it going that route, then just letting the weather eat at it the way it is.
Jack

Thanks, I think for now I'm just going to silicon it up. I'm planning on adding an addition to it sometime fairly soon, though I really have no clue how to go about it. I might get some plywood and put a second layer so to speak on the building, however that still leaves the door. I don't know, I don't like having it just OSB and that Tar Paper looks like its pretty expensive too. It's only a 4x6 coop so.....I don't know.

I put 'caps' on the corners. I don't know what else to call them. Rough cut #2 pine about 2" wide and one about 1 1/4" wide. This way I have dimensional lumber protecting the edges of my OSB. I didnt think about using silicon caulk tho.

Tar Paper looks like its pretty expensive too. It's only a 4x6 coop so.....I don't know

It's not that expensive, but it's not meant to be exposed to the weather.

Any type of siding would make your coop last much longer.

Spend a little more now, and you won't have to redo it at a higher cost in just a few years​

Hi from Ga. OSB will last for years if you paint it.

97415_100_0680.jpg

I use it in all my coops.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom