COOP Madness- Need Help & Guidance

The other big factor is where you live. I'm in Alabama, so we're just using an old chain-link dog kennel as a coop (wrapped in chicken wire, inside a sturdy fence, with an outer perimeter patrol dog). We spread a tarp over it in summer, and wrap the tarp around it in winter (leaving the sunny side open for ventilation).

And I tell you, every time I read about somebody battling mites and ticks in a wooden coop, I feel so smug
cool.png

Hey thanks everyone...appreciate all the words of wisdom. I've found the Purina plans listed on here and I may attempt to build that one myself. (I've built sets for the local theater so I should be able ot handle this). I will keep you all posted. If however anyone does know of a decent pre-fab I'd be interestied in hearing about it.

Now...mites and tick UGGGGH I have a lot to leard! :)

Thanks again folks, I can tell this is a good group of people.

I like the improvised, scrounged, home built coops like the ones made from pallets, dog houses, truck toppers etc. They are fun to make and with a little paint and trim, can even look nice too. But if you got the right budget, and space, make it bigger then you will need 'cause chickens are addictive and you will surely end up with more than you set out for.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks Mate, much appreciated. Everyone is making me feel welcome! Budget is a bit tight for this so I may thin kabouth pallet idea. Is that sturdy/safe??

Back
Top Bottom