Coop Paint

ChcknLady

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Western Pa
I want to paint the outside of my coop, which will be accessible to the chickens (if they decide to peck it). What kind of paint should I use that would be safe for them?

Anything you use will be safe for them once it is dry and the solvent fumes are gone. I'd recommend priming well first and then using a good quality exterior latex. Mistints from the paint/hardware store, or (not too old) remnants from a recycling store or from neighbors etc, are an economical way to proceed; don't skip priming though. And apply several thin coats rather than fewer thick ones.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

My coops are painted with the $5 paint from Lowe's and Wally World. It usually sets by the paint counter. I think it's the mis-tints or what ever. Some of it is the expensive brand paints ($25+) I get all kinds of wild colors this way.

I used Valspar paint sold at TSC for my coop. It covered in one coat. A friend's husband, who is a painter by profession, came over to paint the top (me on a ladder is SOOOO not a good idea...) and said that it was the best covering paint he's ever come across. It was more expensive ($20/gal) but the time and work it saved me was well worth it. We used "Ranch Red"!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom