coop pics for ducks/designs??

Do not get pulled into a feud on this forum. In the future use the REPORT button. Please review the forum rules.

Thank you

Kurtis

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry for what I posted and I came on here to report and fix what I had said, but you had already done that. Thank you.
-Fruit juice.

Last edited:
I'd like to get/give some input on building a coop for a half dozen Rouens that summer on a 150' x 75' pond and will winter on a 25' x 20' pond with dock deicer bubblers to keep the water open. A natural brook feeds these 2 man made ponds, so they stay clean. My cats and dog may have helped keep predators away, or I've just been lucky. We made it through last winter without a coop, but I think it would be great if I could train them to go inside at night. As it is now, they will come over to within 4 feet of me when I put out some feed on the lawn next to the pond, but that's as friendly they get with humans. It'll be some task to get them into a coop once built. I'll use the feed as bait.
Back to coop design: I'm thinking a 4' x 6' footprint on stilts about a foot tall. Lift off roof, and lift up back wall for easy cleaning. Also for easy cleaning I'm thinking of using some high grade plywood on the floor that is designed for outdoor sign making. It has a very smooth water resistant finish but exceptionally pricey. 24" interior headroom.

Rube,
Your design sounds good. I looked at a lot of pictures of chicken coops before I built my duck coop, and I kind of forgot that ducks don't roost, so I built it with lots of headroom, most of which is wasted space. I put in some shelves to store feed, etc. so it's not totally wasted. But I might turn it into a turkey coop and build a lower one for the ducks.

I used "Plytanium DryPly" for the floor; that might be an alternative to the super-expensive stuff you mentioned.

I built mine raised off the ground too, but a little lower than your plan. The best thing that I did was put one of the windows down low so the ducks can see out; they love that. At night, they come up from the pond and go in the coop and wait for us to close the ramp door.

I have a pic from when I was framing it... I don't have a finished photo ready but this gives the general idea. The front door is the "man" door and there's a door in back with a ramp down into a pen; I had to scare them up the ramp the first time but after that they went right in.

32162_framed.jpg

Last edited:
The top one with the roof over the top. Did you build this yourself? I want to build / buy a duck pen very similar to this.

Back
Top Bottom