coop placement in yard

gymangel812

Chirping
Feb 10, 2021
ohio
my coop is being delivered in a few days. my plan was to put it near my office window but there are some mature trees and i'm reading hawks may hang out in those. behind those tall pine trees are some woods and a creek. should i put it somewhere else? the other side of my house has no trees but it's next to a large garage on the opposite side of my house. i cannot watch them from a window on that side either. it's a 6 x 8 coop. i've marked where i would place it with pink lines in the pics. i plan on attaching a run (see pic) but i also intend to fence in a large portion of my yard with poultry fencing so they can free range when i can keep an eye on them through the window and the weather is nice. obviously the large free range area won't have a top of the fence. i could skip the fence and they would probably stay in my yard but i live near a busy road.

Attachments

• 20210418_184908.jpg
    20210418_184908.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210418_184949.jpg
    20210418_184949.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 9.59.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 9.59.00 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
Hawks are going to be an issue no matter where you place it.

What are higher priorities to consider for placement are: 1) legal setbacks, if any 2) drainage at the location 3) sun vs shade (I don't know your climate but if it gets hot in summer, mostly shade/part shade would be far preferable to sun) 4) proximity to utilities such as water, power, as well as to storage for food and such, and walking distance for you to be able to get to it to do maintenance and such.

What are higher priorities to consider for placement are: 1) legal setbacks, if any 2) drainage at the location 3) sun vs shade (I don't know your climate but if it gets hot in summer, mostly shade/part shade would be far preferable to sun) 4) proximity to utilities such as water, power, as well as to storage for food and such, and walking distance for you to be able to get to it to do maintenance and such.
đź‘Ś

the only zoning law is that it has to 10 ft+ from the house. drainage is probably better in the treed location along with electricity/water/etc and it can get quite warm in the summer so i'll stick with my original choice. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom