10 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine

pkeeler

Songster
11 Years
Jul 20, 2008
Shamong
The easiest place for human access would be the side opposite the roost pole. Don't forget bedding depth when designing the chicken entrance.

Joz

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
MidCity, New Orleans
I'd either put a gutter along the bottom edge of the roof, or create a deeper rear overhang to kick the water off the wall a bit (preferred). It'll make a big difference to the lifespan of your rear-wall materials.

kichohana

Songster
Dec 28, 2009
Johnston County, NC
like your software - and your interior design makes good use of space for your chickens.
wink.png

enggass

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
pkeeler: good point about the bedding depth. 1) How is that handled when people have the floor entrance? and 2) How deep should my bedding depth be? Pine shavings/chips/hay/sand?

Celtic Hill: If you look closely the wall behind the boxes is open. I will ad a flip up door/hatch for access.

Joz: The angle of the pic is deceiving. The overhang on the back is currently 12"(1 foot). Should I make it even more?

kichohana: Software - Luxology modo http://www.luxology.com

What about windows? A lot? A little? Near the nest? Near the roost? Both?

Thanks for all of your input.
Steve

medtec113

Songster
9 Years
Feb 14, 2010
Alabama
Here are a couple of pics of mine. Im not finished yet but thought it might give you some ideas being they are similar. I have the roof on mine now I used the tufftex building panels. Ill try to post some pics later.

IMG_4259.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4260.jpg

medtec113

Songster
9 Years
Feb 14, 2010
Alabama
I will post the pics tommorow. I have since added the roof and also the pop door. The pop door is cut out of the swinging doors in the run. The front wall is 8 feet and the back 7. Noticed I built the nesting boxes on the outside to give more space on the inside. I still have paint and the inside of the coop to complete.

enggass

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
Cool. I look forward to seeing them. My wall heights are the same. I may put the pop into my access doors as you have, or from underneath if I can think of an effective way. How long has it taken you to build this?

Top Bottom