Coop plans

I'm thankfully not going so large... our local ordinance only allows a maximum of seven and they have to be hens ONLY.

Thanks all for the comments. Let me take them as I see them.

Cajunhillbilly: Thanks, I'll defintely look for closing vents when I purchase the vents for the bottom.

Elmo: On the ventilation page, yes, I've read it many times. It is thorough, but still confusing.

We don't get hot in Seattle, we get rain... Seriously, we get a week a year above 85 degrees. The window I'm considering in the clean-out door would face west, so it'd get only direct sun in the evening. In the heat of the summer I'd planned on using shade cloth over the window. I just can't think of another place for a window.

As for the "chicken wire" reference in the drawings, that changed immediately. It was never supposed to be chicken wire, but rather welded wire with sufficient thickness to keep out predators. I keep forgetting the reference to chicken wire is even in the drawing.

As for the popdoor in the floor, we have discussed it. We want it to go into the mini-run so it has to be in the floor. Yes, our compromise is to build up the floor there so less bedding falls down. It's not perfect, but as there is no run, we need the hole there.

You are right Elmo, the mini-run is not where the chickens are going to be confined for more than possibly an hour a day, maybe not that long. I can't put a fixed run in my yard, so I will ark them daily in a 4x8 A-frame ark that we will move around the yard every day. We are still figuring the best way to get them into the ark from the mini-run. I should have mentioned the ark originally.

As far as cleaning the mini-run, I planned on raking it out whenever needed. I'm less concerned about predators as our primary culprit around here is the raccoon, which is nocturnal. The birds will be in the predator proof coop at night. I also use predator deterent in my yard to keep them out of my garden. Hmm, I wonder if the birds will react to that. I may have to stop using the dried urine...

Anyway, yes this is a tractor design. It is capable of moving, but I do not intend on moving it often. I like the spot and don't have many other places to put it. My solution is to move the chickens daily in the ark. I will conside an apron also. Thanks! Elmo, you are so helpful!

DDawn: Very interesting thought about only using the six inch by 6 foot vent for ventilation. I plan on 4 birds, so that's not quite 1 SF per bird, but you make an interesting point. I will have to consider that.

Aimiel: I forgot to mention above that this is a mobile coop. For that reason we are planning on Trex 2x4s for the bottom, so they won't rot. The drainage is fairly good there as it is higher than the storm drain 5 feet away. I'm hoping that is sufficient. I've checked the site during this wet winter and it seems good. Great thought though. As for predators taking eggs, there will be two nesting boxes about 3 feet off the ground. I hope I don't need to lock them, but maybe a clip latch isn't a bad idea. Thanks!

Gerry: The coop is raised 2 feet above the ground with the area below wired in for a mini-run. Is that sufficient? The coop will be as secure as we can build it.

Thanks all, I think I hit the high points. Any further comments will be greatly appreciated.

Hi - your plans on VERY similar to the one I built for my girls. You can see it on my BYC page. I elevated my coop and the girls really seem to like it if they get frightened (they run under the coop). I call my roof design passive ventilation and it has worked exceedingly well. However, the stained glass and etched windows all open wide and have window screening and hardware cloth tacked on the inside around the window (we have a horrid problems with dirt dobbers, etc.). Needless to say, they have not been opened in at all in the past month due to the unbelievable snow we've had here in North Texas. I've had no ventilation problems at all.

I also use the deep litter method (mix DE in with the shavings) and try to stir it up every morning. Good luck with your plans!

Gail

PS - just looked at your blueprints again - are you planning on using clear poly corrugated roofing? Just asking because I started with that and had to completely change it out - we get huge hail here every now and then and 3 weeks after the roof went up, it got several 6" holes put into it. Great to use if you don't get hail - I loved and miss the natural sunlight that use to go into the coop.

As hot as it gets in Texas, I doubt I would want a skylight. Besides, on rainy days you want the chooks outside on a covered perch pooping the day away,
sickbyc.gif
not indoors pooping the day away in your coop because it is dry and lighter inside.
lol.png

Gerry
cool.png

Valententinebaby: The roof will be slanted for run-off, not trussed like it says. I had thought of using plexiglass roofing for light, but I'm afraid it'll get too warm even in our mild summers, so it'll be plywood coated with something to be waterproof. The light will come from the 2'x4' plexiglass window in the door, at least that's the current thinking. How can a stupid window be causing such grief!?

Gerry: Yes, the plan is to ark them regardless of the weather (unless we get our 2 inches of snow a year). The 4x8 ark will be half open and half covered in plywood so if it's rainy, or hopefully warm, then they'll have a place to go.

Last edited:
Quote:
First off, the coop and run are covered by a HUGE beautiful oak tree, so it's no hotter in the coop than in the run. And my girls not only have a permanent 170 s.f. "Ft. Knox-like" and buried enclosed run that is 80% covered with roofing (including 100% hardware cloth), but a "temporary" run made from metal foldable tall dog fencing that is attached, but not quite as secure that's over 100 s.f. However, the temporary run only haves aviary netting over it, so I don't open it up in inclement weather or if we've had a recent visit by bobcats. And on nice days, we let them free range when we are outside - use to let them free range all the time, but I live in a country type setting and we do have bobcats, panthers and tons of barred owls. I've lost too many to lose any more! And I never leave them locked up!

Aimiel -

I purchased my corrugated poly roofing at Home Depot, but Lowe's carries it as well. It was also cheaper than the metal corrugated roofing that is up there now. I have a much larger overhang now on the sides and a 4' overhang in both the front and back. The entire roof is "raised" above the ceiling (have a pic of how I did that on my BYC page) and I've NEVER had any water, snow, etc. get in - even with the hellacious (sp?) wind storms we get here from time to time. I basically constructed the 2x4's, placed OSB sheathing over that, layered roofing paper all around the sides and up over the ceiling just a bit and then covered it all with lap cedar siding. VERY secure.

Quote:
I don't think that's going to turn out to be much of a problem. I have several different coops, runs and tractors and move my flock around among them frequently daily in the spring, summer and fall. It's only in the winter that they stay mostly in one coop and run.

What I've found is that chickens are very amenable to being herded once they get used to the idea. I use something long in each of my hands to guide them in the general direction I want them to go, usually the long handled poop scoop that I use to clean up the coop and run, and a small rake...but I've also used a couple of those foam pool noodles, too. Once they know it's a routine that in the morning they go into their tractor and in the evening, they go to their coop, I think you'll find it quite easy to move your flock by gently herding them. It will help in the morning if you throw down some scratch into the tractor so they know there's something good in there waiting for them. Chickens love routines.

For a while I was splitting my flock into two parts (the older ones in one pen, the younger ones in another), although they all roosted together in the same coop. Splitting the flock so the right ones went into the right pen was slightly trickier, but still doable. And when I go for a long time without moving the chickens (like in the winter), they can get confused about what to expect and where I want them to go.

Of course there's always one chicken....in our flock, it's "Wrong Way" Scooter. She's always the last chicken inside the pen because she always manages to head off in a direction opposite to everyone else.

I think you'll find that when you open the door to your run, the chickens will just naturally run out. That's what mine do, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom