Coop pop door size: Brahma's and Jersey Giants

Hoytman

Songster
Jun 26, 2018
SW Ohio
My Coop
My Coop
What size pop door would you recommend for these birds?

I have 12 "other" birds that are fairly large too, but I have 2 Black Jersey Giants, 2 Buff Braham's and a Buff Brahma rooster.

Maximum and minimum size recommendations would be great. This door is an opening for where they'll be sleeping and will be open at all times, so not necessarily a pop door but an access door. That sleeping box is 3'x3'x8'. The opening will be on one end and will open into a covered run.

My pop doors are 14w x 18h and 14w x 12h.
All my cockbirds have been pretty large, Brahma, Wellsumer, and Marans,
none had any trouble getting thru them with ducking a bit.
They could have been narrower I guess..I'd say 10w x 10h would be a decent minimum.

Bigger concern here is those birds getting up and down to roost in a 3x3 coop.
Hopefully the roost is low enough to just step up onto.
8' height should be good for ventilation up high tho.

I've had a midget white tom turkey use a 12" x 12" pop door. A midget white turkey isn't that big compared to some turkeys but he should rival a Brahma or Jersey Giant in size.

My pop doors are 14w x 18h and 14w x 12h.
All my cockbirds have been pretty large, Brahma, Wellsumer, and Marans,
none had any trouble getting thru them with ducking a bit.
They could have been narrower I guess..I'd say 10w x 10h would be a decent minimum.

Bigger concern here is those birds getting up and down to roost in a 3x3 coop.
Hopefully the roost is low enough to just step up onto.
8' height should be good for ventilation up high tho.
My enclosed run is 10'x10'x6' and I'm building a box 44" up off of the ground and that box is 8ft. long x 3ft. high x 3ft. deep. Yes I will be building a ramp for them to walk up to the box and a ramp up onto the roosts as well. It should be low enough for them to jump up onto without having to fly...at least I hope.

This was an after thought since birds are roosting on the floor and shavings of the 10'x10' covered run. I'm just trying to give them a place to sleep more out of the weather...i.e. cold at night. Of course, I will be ventilating it and perhaps I'll post some pictures in another thread later to try and get ideas on where best to place the vents. All sides of roost box are plywood right now and I still need to figure out the ventilation for the box.

My enclosed run is 10'x10'x6' and I'm building a box 44" up off of the ground and that box is 8ft. long x 3ft. high x 3ft. deep. Yes I will be building a ramp for them to walk up to the box and a ramp up onto the roosts as well. It should be low enough for them to jump up onto without having to fly...at least I hope.

This was an after thought since birds are roosting on the floor and shavings of the 10'x10' covered run. I'm just trying to give them a place to sleep more out of the weather...i.e. cold at night. Of course, I will be ventilating it and perhaps I'll post some pictures in another thread later to try and get ideas on where best to place the vents. All sides of roost box are plywood right now and I still need to figure out the ventilation for the box.
Nothing works better than soffit vents with open rafter bays leeding to ridge vent for winter ventilation. Shingle vent 2 is an excellent type of ridge vent. If you have snow you will need to keep ridge vent clear

So you don't have an actual 'coop'.... just a covered run?

The way I envision it is sort of like a hover, a box with the bottom open that will trap warm air from their bodies and breath. Might trap moisture too but there is just one way to find out how that works. I've seen those recommended in really cold climates. It will be interesting to see how it works and if they sleep under it or on it.

For now in the 3'x3'x8' box I am planning for 6" of pine shavings on the floor with two (2) 8' long roosts about 9" off of the floor. They should easily be able to jump up on that without having to fly.

The door will be 12"x14" located on one end of the front of the box. The two 3x3 ends...one end will have lower ventilation holes near the floor, but above the shavings...opposite of the entrance door. This should allow for cross ventilation because they'll be an opening (entrance door) on the front end, an opening in the opposite side end. The back and top will be totally enclosed. However, I will be cutting window near the top of the front … actually I'm thinking about hinging the entire front top piece. That way I can just prop it open...and opening 8ft. long...and I can open it to whatever is needed.

If you can envision the front 3'x8'... made from 3 strips of 1/2" thick OSB 1'x8' … rather than one continuous piece of 3'x8' OSB. The reason for this is simple. I'll put hinges between those pieces so the top section can open and be adjustable, and the bottom section can swing down for cleaning the roost box. Basically, if I need to, I can open the entire front of the roost box for ventilation if needed.

Back
Top Bottom