Coop Predator Proofing

thomas_trevett

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2020
Atlanta, GA
All, I may have erred this weekend as I put hardware mesh cloth as the base of my chicken run, thinking that this was the best security for the girls while they were in their run, as opposed to just lining the outside of the run with a perimeter of wire mesh or digging down below grade to install the perimeter. I put mulch/bedding over the mesh, but are they going to have major problems when they are scratching around with the metal mesh?

How deep it the lining? What is your run bedding/material?

I did exactly what you described for a small run, the hardware cloth was attached to a 4x4 frame, then I filled it with sand. The girls never once even got close to the hardware cloth. They would scratch, dust bathe, etc. never an issue or even close.

It's possible the sand aided in this, I have never used anything else with that setup to know. It works though and you should be fine :)

I liked the base covered completely to prevent rodents and snakes from getting in.

Run bedding is cedar mulch, but I can also throw in some play sand if you think that would be helpful. My hardware mesh is I think the one with the smallest openings in it. I used it exactly because I didn't want any snakes or rodents to get through. Only reason I used cedar mulch was it was extra that I had lying about.

Play sand is too fine and should not be used, you need paving sand (I'm sure there are various names for it) like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Aspen-Mountain-0-5-cu-ft-Tan-Paver-Base-Sand/3726717

And you must be sure it does not contain crystalline silica.

I live in Colorado where it's dry dry dry (did I mention dry) and I filled the run with only that paving sand and once a week or so would scoop it with a cat litter scoop. Once a year emptied and refilled it completely. It worked extremely well for the situation. The run was probably ~3x4 or so.

As long as the cedar mulch is free of bad stuff, it should be fine. I think another advantage of the sand is its' weight. It might help prevent them from digging too far because it back-fills itself pretty quickly. I've read that it helps keep nails trimmed, bugs generally don't like sand (except sand mites/fleas if they live in your area), and overall was pretty easy to manage for me in my backyard, small flock.

The girls never once even got close to the hardware cloth.
How deep was sand?
It might help prevent them from digging too far because it back-fills itself pretty quickly.
Absolutely.
I live in Colorado where it's dry dry dry (did I mention dry) and I filled the run with only that paving sand and once a week or so would scoop it with a cat litter scoop. Once a year emptied and refilled it completely. It worked extremely well for the situation.
Dry definitely an advantage with sand. But what did you do with all that 'old' sand every year?

My hardware mesh is I think the one with the smallest openings in it. I used it exactly because I didn't want any snakes or rodents to get through.
So 1/8"?
Keep them from getting in but might not keep out from under it.

Welcome to BYC! @thomas_trevett
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1586217023705.png

All, I may have erred this weekend as I put hardware mesh cloth as the base of my chicken run, thinking that this was the best security for the girls while they were in their run, as opposed to just lining the outside of the run with a perimeter of wire mesh or digging down below grade to install the perimeter. I put mulch/bedding over the mesh, but are they going to have major problems when they are scratching around with the metal mesh?
It may be a concern, I suppose it depends how deep you put it. If I understand.. you put hardware cloth in an “L” at the bottom of your fence with the bottom of the L in the chicken yard? I once received advice to do the same with the bottom of the “L” on the outside of the fence. So maybe 2’ up and 2’ out. Then covering the metal with rock or gravel. Sounds like it would work, but I never did it. Lots of work! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom