Coop progress...Suggestions?

teresacakes

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 15, 2013
Hey BYC! A friend at work is building a coop for me that will house six hens. Basically it's a modified purina coop. The nest boxes have a latch opening and there is also a lip around the floor of the coop for placing sand (poop board). The coop will be attached to a dog run reinforced with hardware cloth. Please let me know if there are any modifications that should be done before construction is complete. The roof will be attached soon. Thanks!

Last edited:
Looks nice but I would cut a 1 ft x 1 ft opening on each side and cover that with hardware cloth and a hinged board above it. You can angle the boards or open fully for ventilation. Even better if the vents could be up high in the angled area. The nest boxes seem a bit high a jump up and down and they may be roosting on the edge of those if you don't have a roost bar (the roost bar is best higher than the nest boxes). I would have made the pop door a little higher so that you can have plenty of floor bedding but you may be OK. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
How big is the doorway?I have a silver laced brahma got so big he has to squeeze out of the doorway now grown He wont go in i have to put him in the ppl door at nightA LF roo can easiy get 2 ft tall or mine are

It looks great so far! What are the dimensions? When you put the roosting poles in, be sure to use 2x4's and put the 4" side facing up. This way, the hens can spread their toes and lay down on top of them during winter months to keep them warm and prevent frostbite. Also, don't forget to add ventilation. It is critical for chicken health. Please visit my coop and you'll probably get the idea of what you need.

Kelly
✿​
Our Country Chronicles
✿​

It's a little late now to suggest this but I would have put the nest boxes on the ends of the coop so you dont' have to go in the run to collect eggs. No chance of escapes when gathering eggs, no dirty feet from run, etc etc.

I'm not sure what a purina style coop is but I like the simplicity of your project. Most of any drawbacks I see have already been addressed (ventilation, roosts, egg laying boxes). The back opening access panel is nice. Hopefully it isn't going to be moved much (plywood adds weight).
My coop is also under construction and looks a lot like the one you're having built. Your ventilation issue is easily remedied with a recipro saw, poultry netting, sliding or hinged doors (climate control). The chicken door does seem small but maybe you have small chickens. My nesting boxes are even with the bottom of the coop but I have kids who will likely be retrieving the eggs most of the time. I'm guessing it will be painted or treated (plywood sucks up water). It appears to be a pretty stout build. It'll be nice to see it finished & full of happy hens.
I've included a jpeg of my little project. The wires are not permanent (its doubling as a brooder) and there will be a chicken run out the front sliding door. Bob

It looks great so far! What are the dimensions? When you put the roosting poles in, be sure to use 2x4's and put the 4" side facing up. This way, the hens can spread their toes and lay down on top of them during winter months to keep them warm and prevent frostbite. Also, don't forget to add ventilation. It is critical for chicken health. Please visit my coop and you'll probably get the idea of what you need.

Kelly
✿​
Our Country Chronicles
✿​
I checked out your site. lol Man that virtual chicken freaked me out. I ran to the brooder to check on my own!
lau.gif

I'm so glad you mentioned that. I've been meaning to remove it, and I keep forgetting. Thank you!!
You have a beautiful family. And I love your coop! How many birds fit in there?
I have to quickly redesign my coop plans due to serious unforeseen car trouble that is about to rob my coop budget.
Also. Swimming chickens!
gig.gif
Awesome!

Back
Top Bottom