1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I hate to admit it has been about a year since we started the coop, but it has. I got side tracked for about 5 months working about 60 hours a week and we are doing a lot of other things in the yard at the same time, but still

The chickens have lived in their new coop for about 6 months now, I never did finish painting it and today I finally found time to get two more sections of picket fence up. Just one small section about 6 feet left to do. And then paint what will seem like miles of it. (the front yard is already picket fence, and of course with new freshly painted ones next to it, I have to paint the front too)

I must have been tired, we primed one side of most of the pickets ( a few both sides) I planned on putting the primed side to the 2x4, but you can see I forgot about half the time...sigh
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the colors are the same used on the house.

FYI, since we are in SoCal with nice weather, both ends are pretty much open. We have a plastic shower curtain we can close if it is too rainy. The peak is plastic lattice over 1/2" welded wire and the doors are aviary wire over 1x2 heavy welded wire. The roosts are up in the peak. We had a few super hot days, I expected to feel that peak and find it hot. The tin is hot, but the coop did not seem any warmer than the air. When we designed it, we thought we might have to seperate the old hens from the younger ones, it would be easy to split in half. But thankfully the chickens all get a long fine.

Once I get it all painted, we are adding a day run. They all free range now.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Very nice looking!

3. WildChicken

WildChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Fitzgerald, GA
    Very nice job!! Your chickens will be proud to live in a coop like that.[​IMG]

4. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    Carols Clucks: When we designed it, we thought we might have to seperate the old hens from the younger ones, it would be easy to split in half. But thankfully the chickens all get a long fine.
    Once I get it all painted, we are adding a day run. They all free range now.

Do you still have the plans (design) for this coop available?​

5. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    I do, just drawing no real measurements.

We did have to make a few changes, like to fit the nest box over the retaining wall while finishing up the coop.

And mom wanted more wire and less wall on the ends (funny she now says too open.....sure wish she would have LOOKED at the plans I left with her)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by