Coop Project - Day 2

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CatsCrazyCoop, Jul 8, 2011.

1. CatsCrazyCoop

CatsCrazyCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Putnam Valley, NY
    Ok. So, here we are on the 2nd day of construction. Thankfully my dad was able to get some work in before the rain came! We are plugging along, slowly but surely - and arguing every step of the way. I want siding, he wanted to paint the plywood. I want windows that open, he wants to put fixed windows. Haha. I think I will win all the fights, not sure why he is even arguing with me - but, it keeps him young [​IMG]

Now, is where I need your help. Please. The egg retrieval hatch. (not sure what it is called. I knew once, but am drawing a blank [​IMG] must be all the arguing [​IMG]

Anywho. My coop is 8x7. I will have 6 bantams, a jersey giant, buff orp, dominique, barred rock, white plymouth rock, black sumatra & RIR. How many nesting boxes will I need? How big should the boxes be? and the access hatch for eggs? If anyone could please help, I would appreciate it.

I was going to do 6 nesting boxes (incase we increase our flock - my town allows 20)
    But, need help with dimensions, please.

Thanks so much!
    I am feeling frustrated.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    The way we were planning our nesting boxes is to have them actually stickin out the backside of the coop with the top of the box being a lid that you can just walk up and open to gain access to the eggs without actually goin into the coop. Granted you'd have to have a latch of some sort to keep critters from opening the lid but it will make it a lot easier to access the eggs. It also makes it so you don't have to take up floor space in the coop

3. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    2 or 3 nesting boxes would be plenty. Mine use the same box anyway. Looks like you have a great start.

4. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I count 14 chickens so far but it sounds like you will max out your limit of 20, right? If so 6 boxes will be plenty, they probably will only use 3 or 4 anyway. 15"x15"x15" will be plenty big even for your larger birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by