coop question????

knc512

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Sacramento, CA
okay i'll give a small example of my coop, they usually sleep in a 2 X 2 dog crate that is elevated off of the ground by 4 pallets so about 2 feet off of the ground this crate also contains a nesting box, this is connected to an 8 x 8 chicken run that has a perch in it for them to roost on. it is at about the same height as my dog crate, however they do not sleep on the roost at night they go into the crate. should i make some small changes so they know that the nest box is for egg laying not sleeping?

I've heard of people putting a golf ball or two in their best boxes to help the hens figure out what the boxes are for and where to lay. Do you have any pictures of your set-up? May help others determine why your hens aren't using the roost at night.

Unfortunately chickens will roost where they want.

The only way to control where they sleep is to prevent them from getting to the nest boxes. This can be done by closing them off or having an obstruction on top to keep them from sitting there.

Usually - I just let them be. It is a little more clean up - but if that is where they want to be - who am I to judge!

Quote:
That's how I am, too. No biggie on the freshening up of pine shavings in the nest box, and in the rollaway nest box, I just pull out the plastic mats, smack 'em against the coop wall and the poo falls right out. Slide the mats back into the nest. Every week I change 'em out to steam clean the used ones.

I understand it's a big deal to folks who have a LOT of nest boxes to clean..... But I only have 10 layers, and only 2 sleepers in the boxes. I'll have maybe 8 more in a few months, still not a big deal to me. Personally, the look of the pleased, napping or sleeping chicken in a nest box more than makes up for the bother of tidying up after 'em.

Last edited:
I think i agree with gryeyes and midget!! we just got our second egg this afternoon, i have a tendency to over think things too much. probably shouldn't change to much and add stress to my four chickens i have had since they were little chicks. They are just now starting to lay and after viewing some of the posts about patience regarding egg laying i think i just may leave it the way it is and see how it plays out. Thanks for all of the input!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom