FathertoFeathers

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Tennessee
I’m in the process of redesigning my coop. My family recently moved to a property with more land so we could homestead. During that time we built a temporary little coop for the birds but it is far from ideal. I’d like to build a new coop that has nice features and by that I mean little things you have in your coop that makes your life so much easier. Maybe it’s a specific nesting box design or how perches are set up. Anything you have that you think would be a help please share! Any and all ideas are more than welcome.
All our birds are free range so the coop is mostly just for nighttime security and a place for them to lay. I keep chickens and turkeys together so anything that you could think of that’ll help please share!

I also plan on building a new coop but also like you hoping to buy a bigger place so I can have more chickens. One thing I really want to do in a new coop is to have a mesh floor directly under the roosting bars so it can fall to the ground and I can shovel it up instead of using a litter method in the coop. The coop we have now is the 1st I've built and it is a pain to keep clean.

Do look at the coop plans in the article section with 4.5 - 5 stars.
Pick one you like and come back here with your plan with it + how many chickens you have/want, where you live (cold / hot) , and which breed(s) you have or want.
Some breeds need more space, mixing breeds often gives more stress. A reason to build bigger with more clutter.

All our birds are free range so the coop is mostly just for nighttime security and a place for them to lay. I keep chickens and turkeys together so anything that you could think of that’ll help please share!
Will you have a run too, in case of predator problems?
Not sure about turkeys and chickens together except turkeys need more space and are susceptible to blackhead disease that chickens can carry without symptoms, talk to a local ag dept to see if it's in the area.

Maybe it’s a specific nesting box design or how perches are set up.
I was lucky to have a large building already here, it really helps in the nasty winters we get here. But I love my poop boards and nest bank.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/

Will you have a run too, in case of predator problems?
Not sure about turkeys and chickens together except turkeys need more space and are susceptible to blackhead disease that chickens can carry without symptoms, talk to a local ag dept to see if it's in the area.

I was lucky to have a large building already here, it really helps in the nasty winters we get here. But I love my poop boards and nest bank.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-coop-page.65912/
The turkeys have been raised with the chickens since they were poults and I’ve never had any issues with them.

This is gonna be on the left side of the coop.
IMG_6802.jpeg

This is going to be the rest of the coop.
IMG_6801.jpeg

If you have any questions about the plans please let me know. I know I’m no architect or blueprint artist lol

I also plan on building a new coop but also like you hoping to buy a bigger place so I can have more chickens. One thing I really want to do in a new coop is to have a mesh floor directly under the roosting bars so it can fall to the ground and I can shovel it up instead of using a litter method in the coop. The coop we have now is the 1st I've built and it is a pain to keep clean.
How many chickens do you have?

Back
Top Bottom