Coop Roof Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Booswalia, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Songster

I'm getting ready to put the tin roof on my coop and I'm wondering if I need anything between the tin and the plywood. This construction work is all new to me.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  2. tackyrama

tackyrama Songster

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Why are you having plywood under it? run 2x4s lengthwise over the rafters about every two feet and fasten the tin to that. Take a look at my BYC page(s) I built a coop with tin on the roof and sides and have all the pics on there.

3. allison finch

allison finch Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Tin can get hot in the summer and cold in the winter. I would insulate it, if it was mine.

4. Booswalia

Booswalia Songster

I already have the ceiling insulated. I'm just wondering if I need anything between the tin and the plywood.

5. cappy

cappy In the Brooder

May 22, 2009
    Cottageville, SC
    What kind of tin are you talking about? Is it roofing tin (usually 26"wide formed sheets) or just sheets if tin? Roofing tin only needs a framework of 2x4's or such. The pre formed design gives it support lengthwise. By making 2x4 rafters 24" apart the tin lays on the rafters and needs only cross support between the rafters. Depending on where you live you could put insulation between the rafters if needed. Sheet tin would need to be on plywood for support and probably should have a moisture barrior between the tin and the wood as the tin could sweat in humid weather.

Ken

6. Booswalia

Booswalia Songster

I was given some roofing tin and I already have the plywood on. I would just like to know if I need anything between the two.

It gets VERY cold here in the winter and I don't think tin alone would work very well.

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I would put tar paper between it.You want to keep the plywood as dry as you can so it doesn't rot out.
    In N.H.,Tony.

8. Booswalia

Booswalia Songster

Thanks Tony.

9. Big Red Roo

Big Red Roo In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    Waco Tx
    When You screw or nail it down make sure you use screws or nail that seal. I also put a bead of caulk where the tin over laps. [​IMG] We dont need any leaks. [​IMG]

10. Booswalia

Booswalia Songster

How would I know if a nail seals or not? I have some shingle nails. Would they do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: