Coop roosts (Please Post your pics)

Quote:
Yes, Miley is! She is a Shih Tzu and was so excited to jump in when the girls weren't in there.

66234_img_1181.jpg

2x4's would be better, but 2x2's are fine
smile.png
just be sure and lightly sand the corners down so the edges aren't sharp.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Our coop is a 4X8. The roosts have been secured on either side now so I can easily lift out for cleaning. Cat boxes on poop board have a thin layer of sand so poop can be scooped out. It's been in operation for about a month now. So far, so good!

54793_west_view_interior_2.jpg

We were thinking of using 2x3 's for the roost I will round the sides I also like the idea of the kitty litter boxes we have such limited floor space
we put the nesting boxes to the back outside. Should there be a least 10 inches per bird.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I'd like to have poop boards in mine, however, I'll have 25 girls in mine and getting enough space for them all to roost and have the boards won't be easy. Maybe i can do a double decker roost with a board below each. Anyone have pics of a coop they keep more than 5 to 10 birds in?

I used two 2X4's the long way in my 6 X 8 coop for a total roost length of about 15'. The first roost is 15" from the wall and the second roost is 17" away from the first. My coop is only 4' tall so the roosts are only 2.3' off the floor so as to provide the recommended 18" of head room. I know a lot of folks like the 2 X 4's laid flat to help the chickens keep their toes warm but I mounted mine on edge for strength - didn't want the roosts to sag over time. My 80 lb boy can sit on the middle and the roosts barely flex. I also built a mini ramp to help them access the roosts, but probably won't need that the way my pullets are jumping and flying! Putting the 13 youngsters in the coop in the morning. Had a barred rock conduct an inspection last week and she approved! Here are some pics:

Back
Top Bottom