Coop & Run Design Help - Big Enough?

willow13

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 8, 2009
Hi, I am in the process of designing my coop and run. I have 6 RIRs and may be getting 6 Australorps. Will a coop that is 4'x6' (24sqft = 2sqft per chicken) be big enough, or should we try and build a 6'x6' (36sqft) or 6'x8' (48 sqft). My mom wants to build a 6x8'. The run area that my parents are planning is 10x10' = 100sqft. However, right now it is a raised area (2x4"s around it) with flat concrete blocks on the bottom, with grass and weeds growing between them. My parent's weren't sure if we should leave it that way or put dirt or sand, or both on top of the cement blocks? Any advice? And would this size run be big enough for 12 chickens? We figured this would be a good area for the run because no predators could get in from the bottom. They will be free ranging too in my fenced backyard when we are home. Thanks in advance.

Well i would go with what you want to do i have two rir and i have to make there run bigger yet and that is it, they are big birds
lol.png

12 birds at 4 sf/bird, would be 48 sf. So, 24 would be too small. 6'x8' would be preferrable. 10x10 is a decent run, especially if the coop is 6x8. Chickens do like to scratch, so I would cover the concrete, at least in some areas. Dirt, sand, whatever is cheap and easy.

I think you need to go bigger, at least the 6'x8'...my coop is 8'x8' for 13 chickens, and it's comfortable. RIR's and Australorps are big birds, and if they're crowded they'll start fighting and picking at each other.

Also, my run is about 200 sq ft, and I still let them out to free range in the yard a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom