Coop run ground cover

Ok well if u do the deep litter method u have to clean it out once a year or more and u don't have to turn it or dig through it to get the manure the chickens turn through it and helps it decompose
No..... you don't ever have to clean it out.

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'litter' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

But if u don't clean it out wouldn't it just build up as I would like to do this also and just now thought of that
It's actually more likely to break down and lose volume, rather than build up to a greater volume.....if it's got a good balance of browns and greens.

It's actually more likely to break down and lose volume, rather than build up to a greater volume.....if it's got a good balance of browns and greens.

Absolutely.

And if it is not a good balance:

too many greens, it may smell (add browns). Chicken manure is a green.
too many browns, takes longer to break down, not necessarily a bad thing, unless your objective is to make compost.

Last edited:
Here is a good starting list:

Browns
  • Fall leaves
  • Hay & straw, cornstalks
  • Shredded cardboard & newspaper (newspaper inks are soy-based which are OK)
  • Paper plates, bags, towels
  • Chipped brush, sticks, twigs, branches, bark
  • Sawdust
  • Pine needles (but not more than 10% of the pile)
Greens
  • Vegetable & fruit wastes
  • Eggshells
  • Coffee grounds, filters, & teabags
  • Horse, cow, rabbit, chicken, gerbil, goat, sheep, rabbit, pig manure
  • Weeds without weed seeds & other yard waste (without chemicals)
  • Grass clippings (but not if you use harmful chemicals on your grass!)
  • Seaweed (give it a good soak to remove excess salt)

Ok thanks once I move the chicken coop lower the chicken coop and build the nesting boxes I will try some of those things thanks I hope u don't mind me asking this in ur thread @Kwcoop

Back
Top Bottom