Coop run ground cover

It looks like you may want to consider adding ventilation to your coop. Is there any ventilation at all (I can't quite tell from the pic, but it doesn't look like there's any vents)? A 4x8 coop is undersized for 12 chickens (you may find this to be an issue as they become full sized birds - all of the breeds you have can get quite large). Proper ventilation is going to be essential to offset the amount of ammonia and moisture they expel while roosting.
There’s vents lengthwise at the top on both sides under the roof. It’s also 6’ tall on the highest side. Before we built it we read 1.5 ft of roosting space per hen. We have far more than that and they only sleep in the coop. I’m confused how the coop could be undersized. We also are using the deep bedding method and I turn it every other day. We plan to add a vent with a fan in the very near future for added air movement.

My run is covered but I added grass clippings this last couple of weeks. Helped smell, cooled it down, gave them something to dig through. But mine don't free range like yours do.
My main biosecurity is I have "chicken only shoes" that only go in coop. I also don't wear the clothes in run that I was wearing around other chickens. Just fyi

Back
Top Bottom