Coop run ground cover

RaesChicks

Chirping
Sep 11, 2023
Southeastern US
We built a 10x12ft run when our chicks were 6 weeks. They are 13 weeks and we finished their coop which has 5” of pine shavings for bedding. My run is just dirt/sand. As I’ve been reading in the forum I see concerns about bio-safety and also posts talking about bedding and mulch in the run. I rake the run now and then to mix up the dirt and level it back out. We get a lot of rain and it gets pretty warm. I figured groundcover hold too much moisture and generate too much heat, and also that would prevent my chickens from getting their dirt baths and other activities in. My chickens sleep in the coop, spend the majority of the day in the run, and free range in the late afternoons and evenings.

My question is, am I doing anything wrong with how I manage my flock? I want to ensure a healthy happy environment for my chicks and eventually ensure safe egg production for my family. I’ve read a couple books and check websites and posts here frequently. But with all the different information out there I’m confused and looking for advice. I’d really appreciate some guidance.

We built a 10x12ft run when our chicks were 6 weeks. They are 13 weeks and we finished their coop which has 5” of pine shavings for bedding. My run is just dirt/sand. As I’ve been reading in the forum I see concerns about bio-safety and also posts talking about bedding and mulch in the run. I rake the run now and then to mix up the dirt and level it back out. We get a lot of rain and it gets pretty warm. I figured groundcover hold too much moisture and generate too much heat, and also that would prevent my chickens from getting their dirt baths and other activities in. My chickens sleep in the coop, spend the majority of the day in the run, and free range in the late afternoons and evenings.

My question is, am I doing anything wrong with how I manage my flock? I want to ensure a healthy happy environment for my chicks and eventually ensure safe egg production for my family. I’ve read a couple books and check websites and posts here frequently. But with all the different information out there I’m confused and looking for advice. I’d really appreciate some guidance.
My question is, am I doing anything wrong with how I manage my flock?
To me it reads like your doing as well as most and better than many in managing your chickens.
You don't say how many chickens you have (?)
My preference for run ground is bare dirt. With a run, even runs much larger than yours, keeping any ground cover alive is virtually impossible. The chickens will just scratch and dig whatever you plant out.
It's the getting them out of the run for as much time as possible that I consider important. It's not so much about the extra freedom; it's more about them getting the maximum amount of exercise which has enormous health benefits.
In my experience chickens kept in a run permenantly do not get the exercise they need. Given they are foraging creature who work for thier food any time they get to spend out of the run, preferably on natural ground with vegitation growing where they can bug hunt and dig provides long term health benefits.

Some may infer that ground cover is some kind of plant growing.
Don't think you mean that tho.

I use coarse wood chippings from a tree trimmer as run bedding. I never 'clean' the run, the wood helps decompose the poops. Just add some more chips as needed to keep the 'dirt' covered. They can easily dig thru to dust bathe, plus there is part of the run under the coop that stays dry, that's where they dust bath mostly, especially in winter. My run does not have a solid roof, but it drains fairly well, and we get a couple feet of snow each winter.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/runs.7427859/
full

Knowing the size of your run, the number of birds you have, and your climate may help folks offer viable suggestions. But you'll still get all the variety of materials and techniques that you've already read because everyone has different circumstances and opinions.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @RaesChicks
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1694868889743.png

You don't say how many chickens you have (?)
I have 12 chickens, it’s a mixed flock. Orpingtons, Easter Evers, blue Plymouth rocks, black australorp, and a silkie. The run is only 4 ft tall. The coop is 4 ft by 8 ft. And we have 1/2 acre with lots of gardens, there’s open space, areas of the yard with lots of tree cover, and a large variety of plants so they get a lot of foraging in when we are home. We just don’t leave them out during the day except for weekends due to predators.

I saw a lot of people posting about keeping their hens separate, not exposing them to outside bacteria from shoes or other animals. I was starting to worry that I was doing something wrong allowing them out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 32
Still figuring out how to do these replies, sorry.
Some may infer that ground cover is some kind of plant growing.
Don't think you mean that tho.
Well, I kind of meant any options for covering the run. Some say bedding, which to me sounded messy, I’ve seen mulch as an option, granite, sand, etc. I’ve considered growing patches of forage mix on trays and putting that in there semi regularly as well. I do try to keep potted plants like peppermint and other herbs in pots around the run so they have something fresh to peck at during the day.

Knowing the size of your run, the number of birds you have, and your climate may help folks offer viable suggestions.

We are semi-tropical. Hot summers, mild winters, no snow but we do get freezes a few times a year. Heavy rain and hot summers. I only have the ladder area and food covered with plywood right now while we work on getting some roofing. The entire run is wrapped in hardware wire. It is set between oak trees, we cleared a couple before building to provide sunlight , but the trees offer additional protection from the heat and extreme weather we sometimes experience.

I saw a lot of people posting about keeping their hens separate, not exposing them to outside bacteria from shoes or other animals. I was starting to worry that I was doing something wrong allowing them out.
No you're not doing anything wrong.:) In fact it sounds great if the chickens get out for even a couple of hours each day under supervision. The more time out of the run the better in my experience and doubtless in the chickens opinion as well.
Your run is on the small side and if the chickens can't get out daily for any reason I would suggest enlarging the run, upwards and widthways.:p

My view on chickens picking up pathogens from the environment is the more exposure they have to a normal level the more likely the chickens are to build up some natural resistance. Of course, things do go wrong with various epidemics and there is the matter of worms and other parasites which free range or ranging chickens are more likely to encounter.

Until very recently I've kept free range chickens and they were far healthier overall than those I knew who were kept in a coop and run environment on a permenant basis.

Usaully the reason people keep their chickens contained is because they have a high predator load. While it is still possible for a predator to snatch a chicken when they are ranging, even while supervised, I think, as do many others, the health benefits outweigh the risks.

My run which I just built is 10 X 12 or so. It is L shaped as it goes around a tree and is tucked in a corner with lots of shade and uses the existing shadowbox fence for the 2 back walls. I choose to go "El-Natural in terms of the surface. Dirt. it was there before me. I use real tree limbs for perches and try to keep everything as it would be if they were on their own in nature - at least that is my first thought in everything. the run is buttoned up tight so nothing larger than a lizard is getting in there easily and I am still detailing it and check it daily. Hardware cloth and strong bird netting up top to let in some sun/water. I am too new to know if this is going to be the best long term. So I am watching as well. we use Sand in the coop - FYI and scoop the thing like a cat's litter box.

CH04102753.jpg

No you're not doing anything wrong.:) In fact it sounds great if the chickens get out for even a couple of hours each day under supervision. The more time out of the run the better in my experience and doubtless in the chickens opinion as well.
Your run is on the small side and if the chickens can't get out daily for any reason I would suggest enlarging the run, upwards and widthways.:p

My view on chickens picking up pathogens from the environment is the more exposure they have to a normal level the more likely the chickens are to build up some natural resistance. Of course, things do go wrong with various epidemics and there is the matter of worms and other parasites which free range or ranging chickens are more likely to encounter.

Until very recently I've kept free range chickens and they were far healthier overall than those I knew who were kept in a coop and run environment on a permenant basis.

Usaully the reason people keep their chickens contained is because they have a high predator load. While it is still possible for a predator to snatch a chicken when they are ranging, even while supervised, I think, as do many others, the health benefits outweigh the risks.
I can never let my savages out again! :D until I finish the skirt on the 14' shed. :cool: Chicken Momma had a heart attack when one of her girls got out and was hold up under the shed. I heard about that for a few days and have yet to install the $100 skirts I purchased as that is a big job - it's on the list but until then they stay in the coop/run. But I have a 2500 Sq Ft Garden full of grubs in the near future for them - supervised release several times a week for good behavior.

Like AART, I use wood chips when I can get them. I also use other natural items - pinestraw, leaves, hay, straw, branches, limbs, pinecones, weeds, garden cleanout. Bedding from the coop when cleaned out. Shredded paper - bills (plastic removed), phone books, waste paper from our vet clinic (office not from kennels), paper plates & bowls, napkins & paper towels, LOTS of cardboard boxes (Amazon, Walmart, wet dog & catfood by the case) .

Working on building round ring food towers & grazing boxes. Currently have some chickens still on raised garden beds - tilling it up & fertlizing every time I add another layer...

DLM

It looks like you may want to consider adding ventilation to your coop. Is there any ventilation at all (I can't quite tell from the pic, but it doesn't look like there's any vents)? A 4x8 coop is undersized for 12 chickens (you may find this to be an issue as they become full sized birds - all of the breeds you have can get quite large). Proper ventilation is going to be essential to offset the amount of ammonia and moisture they expel while roosting.

Back
Top Bottom