Coop/run...[recycled materials]

1hawaiian

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 3, 2012
Hi Folks,

Not SPECTACULAR, but I think they'll be happy... I'm planning on raising 3 RIR and 1 BR...

Here's my new coop/run that I built from wood and material that was headed for the local dump... I tried to make the best of the dimensions that were available to me.
This is what I came up with on a weekend. All I purchased was the hardware cloth.

The coop/run itself is 12 ft long x 8 ft wide x 3 ft high... they will have the two adjoining fenced areas to roam while supervised for an hour or two each day as I alternate weekly between the two areas. The larger area is 24 ft x 11 ft and the other is 16 ft x 11 ft. I will be allowing the weeds/grasses to grow and will have compost piles in each to allow them to rummage through for bugs and stuff.

Last edited:

1hawaiian

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 3, 2012
Quote:
Thank you... I hope I can make this arrangement work out for the hens... I wish I could've gone bigger, but was limited by the amount of wood/materials I could gather
from around the neighborhood...
big_smile.png

Arielle

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
Great job! How satisfying to save materials from the dump and repurpose them as a coop etc. Desigher coops are beautiful to look at but the recylced ones feed the soul.
smile.png

Rosaleen

Songster
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Danville, Vermont
Great job! My run was made from recycled materials except for hardware wire, six 2x4s, and a box of screws...(you can see it on my page). Don't you find it rewarding to reuse materials for a useful purpose?

1hawaiian

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 3, 2012
Yes, it has been a very satifying and rewarding experience... more than I had imagined!
I'm stoked how it all worked out with careful planning.

I live in a rural community and its rustic look blends in well...LOL

Fact is, I didn't have any money to use for this purpose... All I had was a small box of nails and a borrowed saw.

Considering everything.... I'm very proud of it...
big_smile.png

Thanks for your comments!!!

1hawaiian

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 3, 2012
Quote:
I just checked out your page and wow....that came out really nice!!!!
Great job!!!
big_smile.png

Rosaleen

Songster
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Danville, Vermont
Quote:
I just checked out your page and wow....that came out really nice!!!!
Great job!!!
big_smile.png

I had access to the commercial signage for free ... Two 10 foot long pieces that came off the side of a mall. All the other materials were at hand and that huge wall unit was in my shop ( that I had to close due to a family illness). We plan to move back to our home ( hopefully, if i can get it more handicapped accessibe ) which is more rural with a nice sized barn and our older coop area. I plan to dismantle my outdoor run and set up pens in the barn. Oh! To have the time and $ to do everything.....

Top Bottom