coop & run size for banty's

possumhunter

Songster
10 Years
Jan 6, 2010
I keep trying to figure this out, but seems like I keep reading different answers. I will be building a new coop in the next couple of months (hopefully sooner) and need to know what the minimum size requirement for silkies. I am assuming that it would be less than is needed for standards because they are smaller and more docile? Is 2 sf per bird adequate in the coop? And how much space per bird in the run?

I have three silkies in this coop. It is just under 4 feet wide x7 feet long. The enclosed part is almost four feet wide by 4 feet. It seems plenty big for the three of them. The salmon favs want in too! They run around and play all day up and down the ladder, in and out the pop door. I have sand in the run and they like the part under the coop the best.

34566_silkiecoop-3.jpg

Quote:
Yeah, I thought that 4 sf per bird was for standards. I was hoping to find out what the size was for bantams. Thanks!

I've heard 10 sf per bird for an outside run. I have 8 hens in my coop and run. The coop is only 3X5 and has two roosts. Every time I have looked inside at night they are 6 across on the top roost. I think they like to clump together for heat. I've been getting a half dozen eggs a day, and they all seem to be happy. Here is a picture of the set up.

45502_coop_upgrade_004.jpg

Quote:
That's what I was thinking for the coop. Any ideas about the run? Is it 10 sf per bird or less because of their size?

They say 10 sq. ft. per bird for large fowl. And these are minimum requirements, more is usually better. I would imagine that if a banty needs 1/2 the coop space that 1/2 the run space(5 sq ft per bird) would be acceptable. I am pushing the limit in my coop for large fowl but I have tons of run space so I think it's ok. They don't peck each other and are free to go in and out when they want. My birds also are they types to be out pecking around even if its raining or snowing. I feel like my silkies will sty inside when the weather is bad. They seem much more fragile. Also I found another quote from University of Connecticut about coop space. They said 1 to 1.5 sq ft in the coop is ok. I think we can assume you (and I) would be very safe to shoot for 2 sq ft and possibly add a couple more birds later if all goes well.

I hope I'm not too comfusing. I promise I'm trying to help.

Quote:
Nope! That makes sense to me. Thank you so much! I actually have plenty of space to build a larger coop & run, but a little tight on funds, so I'd rather be able to start with what I think will work and if need be, I can always add more space in the runs later. My silkies tend to just lay in a pile and don't really do much, so that's why I figured the run & coop could be a bit smaller. That and they don't seem to have any aggressive behavior like some other breeds can.

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom